E-M Waves Detail: Proof of Interdependancy of Plane Waves E & B

• Thread starter quasar987
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Waves
In summary: Basically, my book (Modern Optics by Robert Guenther) presents the "proof" of the interdependancy of the plane waves E and B as follow:Suppose \vec{E} is an electric plane wave:\vec{E} = \vec{E_0}e^{i(\omega t - \vec{k}\cdot \vec{r}+ \phi)}.Then we find that\frac{\partial \vec{E}}{\partial t}=i\omega \vec{E}.And if \vec{B} is a plane wave in-phase with \vec{E}, such as \vec
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Basically, my book (Modern Optics by Robert Guenther) presents the "proof" of the interdependancy of the plane waves E and B as follow:

Suppose [itex]\vec{E}[/itex] is an electric plane wave:

[tex]\vec{E} = \vec{E_0}e^{i(\omega t - \vec{k}\cdot \vec{r}+ \phi)}[/tex].

Then we find that

[tex]\frac{\partial \vec{E}}{\partial t}=i\omega \vec{E}[/tex].

And if [itex]\vec{B}[/itex] is a plane wave in-phase with [itex]\vec{E}[/itex], such as

[tex]\vec{B} = \vec{B_0}e^{i(\omega t - \vec{k}\cdot \vec{r}+ \phi)}[/tex],

then

[tex]\vec{\nabla}\times \vec{B} = -i\vec{k}\times \vec{B}[/tex].

And thus, given [itex]\vec{E}[/itex] a plane wave, [itex]\vec{B}[/itex] a plane in-phase satify the Maxwell equation

[tex]\vec{\nabla}\times \vec{B} = \mu\epsilon \frac{\partial \vec{E}}{\partial t}[/tex]

under the simple condition that [itex]E_0 = cB_0[/itex] but what tells me that given [itex]\vec{E}[/itex] a plane wave, this the only solution? It's this little detail that bugs me.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If I understand your problem correctly. The author has shown the given solution for B satisfied Maxwell's equations. What you'd rather want is to show that, given E, Maxwell's equations imply that B must be of that form correct?
That is indeed the way I'd prefer it too. Since you are given [itex]\vec E(\vec r,t)[/itex], Maxwell tells you that, in vacuum:
[tex]\vec \nabla \cdot E =0[/tex]
[tex]\vec \nabla \cdot \vec B=0[/tex]
[tex]\vec \nabla \times \vec B=\frac{1}{c^2}\frac{\partial \vec E}{\partial t}[/tex]
[tex]\vec \nabla \times \vec E=-\frac{\partial \vec B}{\partial t}[/tex]

Just use these to see how the plane wave looks like. It'll give you a set of interdependent equations. The plane wave satisfies Maxwell's equations only under certain conditions. The first for example (divergence of E vanishes) tells you that k is perpendicular to E. Using the others you can show that B and E are in phase and mutually perpendicular. Give it a shot.

Hint: Not neccessary, but for simplicity, choose your axes so that E is point in the x direction and k in the z direction. No loss of generality there after you've shown that k and E are perpendicular.

On a related note, one can demonstrate fairly generally that the electric and magnetic fields of a spatially confined system of charges and currents satisfy [tex] \vec{B} = \hat{n}\times \vec{E} [/tex] in the so called "radiation zone" far away from the charges. One way to do so is to use the retarded potentials in the Lorentz gauge and calculate the leading contribution to the fields at large distances (this is the [tex] 1/r [/tex] radiation field). After a little playing around, you can find the above relation without too much trouble. You have to use conservation of charge at one point in the calculation, so you do need to be careful with the retarded time in your calculation.

Last edited:
Nevermind, I guess my question doesn't make sense.
E plane and B plane are acceptable solutions of the wave equations provided they meet the criterions

i) |E|/|B| = c/n
ii) E, B and k are mutually perpendicular
iii) E and B are in phase

That's all there is to it

Last edited:

1. What are E-M waves?

E-M waves, also known as electromagnetic waves, are a type of energy that travels through space and carries both electric and magnetic fields. They are produced by the acceleration of charged particles and can travel through a vacuum.

2. How are E-M waves related to plane waves E and B?

E-M waves are made up of perpendicular electric and magnetic fields that oscillate in planes perpendicular to the direction of propagation. These oscillating fields are known as plane waves E and B and they are dependent on each other for their existence and propagation.

3. What is the proof of the interdependence of plane waves E and B?

The proof of the interdependence of plane waves E and B is based on Maxwell's equations, which describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. These equations show that a change in one field (E or B) will induce a change in the other field, demonstrating their interdependence.

4. How do plane waves E and B interact with matter?

When E-M waves encounter matter, they can be absorbed, transmitted, or reflected. The interaction between plane waves E and B with matter is determined by the material's properties and the frequency of the waves. Higher frequencies are more likely to be absorbed, while lower frequencies are more likely to be transmitted or reflected.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding the interdependence of plane waves E and B?

Understanding the interdependence of plane waves E and B is crucial in many fields, including telecommunications, remote sensing, and medical imaging. It allows us to manipulate and control E-M waves to transmit information, gather data, and create images. Additionally, it is essential in the development of technologies such as Wi-Fi, radar, and MRI machines.