Why the direction will affect the magnitude of the charge?

In summary, the direction of the magnetic field will affect the magnitude of the charge that flows through the circuit.
Physicsisfun2005
Problem:
A hundred turns of insulated copper wire are wrapped around an iron cylinder of cross-sectional area 1x10^-3 sqr. m and are connected to a resistor. The total resistance in the circuit is 10 ohms. If the longitudinal magnetic field in the iron changes from 1.0 T in one direction to 1.0 T in the opposite direction, how much charge flows through the circuit.

I was wonderin why the direction will affect the magnitude of the charge?

Physics news on Phys.org
I suspect they're talking about the total charge. The system as you describe it is not connected to a battery, so in steady-state there is no current in the circuit. If you change the magnetic field in the core, you're going to induce a voltage, with the corresponding current flow. This will continue until a new steady-state of no current is achieved. It looks to me like the question is asking how much charge will flow through the circuit between one state and the other.

Is a emf emitted?...Faraday's Law or Lenz's Law I think but how do I apply it?...

You have a conducting coil with a magnetic field passing through it, right? Any change in that field will induce a voltage in the coil, just as any change in the current through the coil will induce a magnetic field.

Methinks you need to run back over the section on electromagnetic induction in your text.

Physicsisfun2005 said:
Is a emf emitted?...Faraday's Law or Lenz's Law I think but how do I apply it?...
faraday's law:
[tex]E = N\Delta\Phi/\Delta t[/tex]
or induced voltage equals the number of loops times the change in flux over change in time
direction matters because flux is a vector. so the change in flux would be (1.0 T)(1x10^-3 sqr. m)-(-1.0 T)(1x10^-3 sqr. m)
change in flux is proportional to emf and emf to current

eridanus said:
faraday's law:
[tex]E = N\Delta\Phi/\Delta t[/tex]
or induced voltage equals the number of loops times the change in flux over change in time
direction matters because flux is a vector. so the change in flux would be (1.0 T)(1x10^-3 sqr. m)-(-1.0 T)(1x10^-3 sqr. m)
change in flux is proportional to emf and emf to current

Not to get all Forum Police-y, but it is better to let him work it out on his own. Yes, I have problems doing that, too. :)

thanx ;)...i figured i'd use that equation.

1. How does the direction of an electric field affect the magnitude of the charge?

The direction of an electric field is directly related to the direction of the force experienced by a charged particle. If the direction of the electric field and the direction of the charge are parallel, the force experienced by the charge will be greater, resulting in a larger magnitude of charge. On the other hand, if the direction of the electric field and the direction of the charge are opposite, the force experienced by the charge will be smaller, resulting in a smaller magnitude of charge.

2. Why does the magnitude of charge change when the direction of the electric field changes?

The magnitude of charge changes when the direction of the electric field changes because the direction of the force experienced by a charged particle also changes. This is because the electric field is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. Therefore, when the direction of the electric field changes, the direction of the force experienced by the charge also changes, resulting in a change in the magnitude of charge.

3. Does the strength of the electric field affect the magnitude of the charge?

Yes, the strength of the electric field does affect the magnitude of the charge. The stronger the electric field, the greater the force experienced by the charged particle and the larger the magnitude of the charge. This is because the strength of the electric field is directly proportional to the magnitude of the charge.

4. How does the distance between the charged particles affect the magnitude of the charge?

The distance between charged particles also affects the magnitude of the charge. As the distance between the charged particles increases, the force experienced by each particle decreases, resulting in a smaller magnitude of charge. This is because the electric field strength decreases with distance, according to the inverse-square law.

5. Is the direction of the electric field always the same as the direction of the force experienced by a charged particle?

No, the direction of the electric field is not always the same as the direction of the force experienced by a charged particle. This is because the direction of the force experienced by a charged particle depends on the direction of the electric field and the direction of the charge. If these two directions are not parallel or opposite, the direction of the force experienced by the charge will be different from the direction of the electric field.