E=MC2: quantum or relativistic effect?

In summary, the conversion of energy into mass is usually seen in nuclear or atomic binding. This is evident in the measurement of atomic masses and molar weights. However, it is rarely explicitly calculated in textbooks. The relationship between energy and mass in a bound state is more complex and involves both kinetic and potential energy. Relativity textbooks only consider the kinetic mass/energy relationships between inertial systems, making it difficult to apply the equations in the case of a bound state. Further research is needed to understand the mass correction in a gravity bound state. Quantum radiation theory is also necessary to fully understand the binding of particles through the emission of photons. However, classical mechanics and electrodynamics can also be used to analyze the increase in inertia in some cases
arivero
Gold Member
The conversion of energy into mass is usually seen in nuclear or atomic binding. We have two particles of mass M,m and then they form an stable compound of binding energy -E, so the new coumpound shows an inertial mass of M+m-E/c^2.

Things that amaze me:

a)It works. It is clear for instance from mesurement of atomic masses, and even from almost-XIX-th century measurement of molar weights.

b)I have never seen this calculated explicitly in a textbook. One should decompose the movement between center-of-mass plus internal, and then to show that while the internal movement uses the usual reduced mass, the center of mass uses the new bound-state mass. Also, the internal energy would equilibrate or at least contribute to the bound-state energy.

c) Relativity textbooks work only with kinetic mass/energy relationships, and mostly between inertial systems. As a bound state does suffer a constant acceleration, it is not easy to see how the SR equations can be applied. Still one wonders if and how a gravity, GR, bound state (moon-earth, say) gets a mass correction from gravitational binding (thus a minor correction to solar orbit), but I guess it is a more complex calculation that just m times c square, is it?

d) On the other hand, it is easy to envision that a quantum binding of, say, a electron and a proton is done via emision of a photon having exactly the binding energy, thus the relativistic mass of the photon leaving the system is exactly the mass lost by the new state. But here we need, it seems, *quantum* radiation theory, do we?

Physics news on Phys.org
Relativity says this mathematical relationship, the energy = c times the square of the mass, holds in the rest frame of a massive particle. In a frame where the particle is moving, of course, more energy will be seen due to the motion.

But relativity says nothing about how to actualize this relationship. That's a subject for quantum mechanics and nuclear physics.

Originally posted by selfAdjoint

But relativity says nothing about how to actualize this relationship. That's a subject for quantum mechanics and nuclear physics.
I disagree. This doesn't just hold in quantum and nuclear physics. It holds in classical mechanics and electrodynanmics.

You can actually analyze this from a purely mechanical point of view in some cases.

For an example from EM consider the fact that the mass of a capacitor increases with an increase in energy. Energy increases - inertia increases. This even holds for a system of two point particles. The increase in inertia in such a case can be calculated using only EM. In fact such a calculation is was done in 1979 by Timothy H. Boyer in the American Journal of Physics.

Griffith did something similar too.

Arcon, do you have the reference for Griffith, or at least the complete name?

As for Boyer (do not confuse with M. Boyer, Spain ex-ministry of economics, also a physicist), there are in fact two related articles with a 20-year diference!

AJP -- Feb 1979 -- V 47, (2), pp. 129-131
Electrostatic potential energy leading to a gravitational mass change for a system of two point charges

and
AJP-- Oct 1998 -- V 66, (10), pp. 872-876
Example of mass-energy relation: Classical hydrogen atom accelerated or supported in a gravitational field

From the abstracts, the first one seems to use general relativity to get a change in mass. The second one neglects self-radiation, so perhaps a quantum conditions is hidden there. There are no copies of these papers online :-(

The gravitational emphasis strikes me, as E=mc2 works already with the inertial mass.

Last edited:
Originally posted by arivero
Arcon, do you have the reference for Griffith, or at least the complete name?
Sure. Happy to

Mass renormalization in classical electrodynamics, David J. Griffiths and Russell E. Owen, Am. J. Phys. 51, 1120 (1983)

AJP -- Feb 1979 -- V 47, (2), pp. 129-131
Electrostatic potential energy leading to a gravitational mass change for a system of two point charges

and
AJP-- Oct 1998 -- V 66, (10), pp. 872-876
Example of mass-energy relation: Classical hydrogen atom accelerated or supported in a gravitational field
Yes. I've read them both. Excellant articles! I'm using them in some work I'm doing at the moment. In fact Boyer will be proof reading it for me when I've finished it.

Arcon, Wow! I stand corrected. Since I don't have access to print journals, do you know of any online discussion of these classical electromagnetic effects>

Originally posted by selfAdjoint
Arcon, Wow! I stand corrected. Since I don't have access to print journals, do you know of any online discussion of these classical electromagnetic effects>

Try sci.physics.research

I can scan them in and e-mail the papers to you if you'd like?

1. What does E=MC2 stand for?

E=MC2 is an equation that represents the relationship between energy (E), mass (M), and the speed of light (C) squared.

2. What is the significance of E=MC2 in physics?

E=MC2 is one of the most famous equations in physics and is used to explain the relationship between energy and mass. It is a cornerstone of Einstein's theory of relativity and is used to understand the behavior of matter and energy in the universe.

3. Is E=MC2 a quantum or relativistic effect?

E=MC2 is a combination of both quantum and relativistic effects. It is derived from Einstein's theory of special relativity, which is a relativistic concept, but also takes into account the quantum nature of matter and energy.

4. How does E=MC2 relate to the concept of mass-energy equivalence?

E=MC2 is the mathematical representation of mass-energy equivalence, which states that mass and energy are two forms of the same thing and can be converted into each other. This concept is essential in understanding nuclear reactions, such as nuclear fusion and fission.

5. Can E=MC2 be applied to everyday situations?

While E=MC2 is often associated with complex scientific concepts, it can be applied to everyday situations. For example, the energy produced by the sun is a result of mass being converted into energy through the process of nuclear fusion, which is described by E=MC2.