Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

E=MC2 vs The End

1. Apr 23, 2007 #1
    E=MC2 vs "The End"

I was listening to this Nova audio compilation here:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/einstein/experts.html

It's about E=mc2 or rather an explanation of it through the eyes of a few renowned Physicists. Interesting question popped into my mind. I thought of the laws of the universe; that all things die, all things seek a low energy configuration and all things move in spirals like, circularly. If energy can not be destroyed and anything with mass has energy - how is it everything will die? Or does it mean that it's a some cycle- I just keep seeing this space devoid of matter- where then does this energy go?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2007 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

The energy just goes and goes and goes..... kinda like your post. Sorry, but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

4. Apr 24, 2007 #3
    OK, I may need a lesson in making better posts, and in turn maybe you could take a lesson in; dare I say,being humble?

OK then here is an easy one for you- give me an example of energy converting to mass-

5. Apr 24, 2007 #4

Wallace

Science Advisor

Here is three:

The Fusion of elements heavier than Iron.
    Endothermic chemical reactions.
    The creation of particles by collisions in particle accelerators.

But I agree that I don't see the point of your post and don't really understand the question you are asking?

6. Apr 24, 2007 #5
    "I was listening to this Nova audio compilation here:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/einstein/experts.html

It's about E=mc2 or rather an explanation of it through the eyes of a few renowned Physicists. Interesting question popped into my mind. I thought of the laws of the universe; that all things die, all things seek a low energy configuration and all things move in spirals like, circularly. If energy can not be destroyed and anything with mass has energy - how is it everything will die? Or does it mean that it's a some cycle- I just keep seeing this space devoid of matter- where then does this energy go?"

Sorry man, there are plenty of << deleted by berkeman>> around here waiting to show their superiority. Although your question is a little vague and fragmented, I will try to answer without being a complete << deleted by berkeman>> .

"I thought of the laws of the universe; that all things die, all things seek a low energy configuration and all things move in spirals like, circularly"

First if all it looks like your giving lively characteristics to atomic particles and energy. Mass can not "die" in the terms that you have given it.

"Or does it mean that it's a some cycle- I just keep seeing this space devoid of matter"

In actuallity, space is never really a void. A void is a theoretical concept, and in space probably does not exist. At the very least there are hydrogen atoms. In intergalatic space for example (vast space between galaxies) there is an average of 1 hydrogen atom per square meter. Space is full of dust, runaway atoms, etc.

I'm sure someone else could answer your questions a little better. Hopefully not everyone will treat you like a moron because you're not an english major or an astrophysics.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2007
  7. Apr 24, 2007 #6

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Probably what you are looking for is the concept of entropy. While energy is conserved, entropy, on the average, always increases. So in general terms, the universe tends towards a "heat death" because of entropy.

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/end.html

is a good article about current projections about the end of the universe with current standard cosmological models.

8. Apr 24, 2007 #7

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Let's try to stay civil here, folks. Several of us had trouble understanding the OP, so there's no need to use vulgar language and be insulting to others, whether they are a Mentor or other user of the PF. That is expressly against the PF rules, and will earn infraction points.

Nice post by the new Mentor pervect, BTW. :biggrin:

9. Apr 24, 2007 #8
    Thank you for your replies. Pervect- That paper was really neat-of course a bit depressing but, I suppose I feel like that when thinking about the "END" of things. You each answered my question, pretty cool for not being able to understand me:rolleyes: THX

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?