How does the elastic modulus affect the melting temperature?

In summary, the relationship between e-modulus and melting temp is generally direct, with a few exceptions. To find out if there is a correlation, you can use the search option on www.matweb.com to look up different materials such as oxygen free copper, 304 stainless steel, alumina, red brass, and lead. Based on the results, it appears that Ca and Fe have a direct relationship, but there may be exceptions. To find out which is more deformable at room temperature, you can search for the elastic modulii of "Calcium, Ca" and "Standard gray iron" on matweb.
physicsss
what is the relationship between e-modulus and melting temp?

Engineering news on Phys.org
What do you think ? Do you expect a direct or inverse correlation ? Have you tried searching to see if there is a correlation ?

Try this site : www.matweb.com and use the search option, with different materials. eg : oxygen free copper, 304 stainless steel, alumina, red brass, lead.

I think I got it--they have a direct relationship. Now I need to find out if Ca or Fe is more deformable at room temp...

physicsss said:
I think I got it--they have a direct relationship...

...in general. There will be a few exceptions, but not for the pair you need.

In the matweb seach box type in "Calcium, Ca" and "Standard gray iron" to get their elastic modulii.

What is E modulus?

E modulus, also known as Young's modulus, is a measure of a material's stiffness or resistance to deformation. It is defined as the ratio of stress to strain in a material.

How is E modulus measured?

E modulus is typically measured using a tensile test, where a material is subjected to a pulling force until it reaches its breaking point. The resulting stress-strain curve is used to calculate the E modulus.

What factors affect the E modulus of a material?

The E modulus of a material can be affected by its composition, structure, and temperature. For example, materials with a higher density or stronger atomic bonds tend to have a higher E modulus.

What is the relationship between E modulus and melting temperature?

In general, materials with a higher E modulus also tend to have a higher melting temperature. This is because materials with a higher E modulus have stronger atomic bonds, making it more difficult for them to break apart and melt.

How does E modulus affect the properties of a material?

The E modulus of a material determines its stiffness and ability to withstand stress and strain. Materials with a higher E modulus are typically stronger and more rigid, while those with a lower E modulus are more flexible and pliable.