Can the equation E = pc be applied to particles?

In summary, Gleem says that the equation E=pc can be applied to particles that don't have a rest mass, but it can't be applied to particles that do have a rest mass. The equation reduces to (pc)2, which approaches the energy-momentum relation from the other side. This is relevant to the original question, which was asking if the equation is valid for particles that have a rest mass.
Mr.somebody

Homework Statement

Can the equation E = pc be applied to particles? Why or why not?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

It can be applied to particles that DONT have a rest mass (photons, which are particles). It can not be applied to particles that have a rest mass (almost everything).

Physics news on Phys.org
OK start, but it would be more complete to consider the equations that express the relative energy of particles that do have rest mass.

So its only applicable to photons (and gluons)?
But you only make a stament and do not explain why it is so?

Try this. Evaluate the quantity

m2c4 - m02c4
where of course mc2 = E

gleem said:
where of course mc2 = E
Just a clarification of what gleem is saying:
E over here is the total energy of the object. So the actual formula for this will be ##E= \gamma m_0 c^2##, where $$\gamma = \frac {1}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}$$. By m, gleem means the relativistic mass (an orthodox concept, really) ##m=\gamma m_0##.
(I'm providing this clarification in case the OP accidentally uses the rest mass for the formula for E over here)

Last edited:
I get up to the point where it evaluates to E2(v2/c2)?

andrevdh said:
I get up to the point where it evaluates to E2(v2/c2)?
OK. Now substitute ##E=\gamma m_0 c^2## for E. What does this reduce to? Do you know the relativistic momentum expression?

I think it comes to (pc)2?
Which approaches the energy-momentum relation from the other side.
How is this relevant to the original question?
We evaluated a difference between two terms and found
that they are related to the relativistic momentum of the entity?

Last edited:
andrevdh said:
I think it comes to (pc)2?
Which approaches the energy-momentum relation from the other side.
How is this relevant to the original question?
We evaluated a difference between two terms and found
that they are related to the relativistic momentum of the entity?
It is relevant because you just derived the forumula ##pc=\sqrt{{\gamma}^2m_0^2 c^4 - m_0 ^2c^4} = \sqrt{E^2-m_0^2 c^4}##, proving the fact that ##E≠pc## if ##m_0 ≠0 ##, which I believe was your original question.

I'll think about it.
It seems to make sense.
Thank you.

1. What does the equation E = pc represent?

The equation E = pc represents the relationship between energy (E) and momentum (p) for a particle. It states that the energy of a particle is equal to its momentum multiplied by the speed of light (c).

2. Can the equation E = pc be applied to all particles?

Yes, the equation E = pc can be applied to all particles, including subatomic particles such as electrons, protons, and neutrons. It applies to all particles that have mass and are in motion.

3. How is the equation E = pc derived?

The equation E = pc is derived from Einstein's special theory of relativity, which explains the relationship between energy and mass. It can be derived by equating the total energy of a particle to its kinetic energy and using the equation for momentum (p = mv) in conjunction with the speed of light (c).

4. Does the equation E = pc have any practical applications?

Yes, the equation E = pc has many practical applications in various fields of science. It is used in particle physics, nuclear physics, and astrophysics, among others, to calculate the energy and momentum of particles and their interactions.

5. Can the equation E = pc be used to measure the energy of a particle?

Yes, the equation E = pc can be used to calculate the energy of a particle based on its measured momentum. This is useful in experiments and research involving particles, as it allows scientists to determine the energy of a particle without directly measuring it.