Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

E raised to a power with units

1. Oct 16, 2008 #1
    When e is raised to a power with units of mass what is the units of the resulting solution?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2008 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

e^{mass}. But more likely, there's a constant missing from your formula.

4. Oct 16, 2008 #3
    It can never be done that way. e, or any other constant, can only be raised to a dimensionless quantity. So, if you find a mass term in the exponent, there must also be one or more terms together having a dimension of M-1, and vice versa.

5. Oct 16, 2008 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In dimensional analysis, the argument of an exponential must be dimensionless. In other words the argument of an exponential cannot have any units associated with it.

Edit: I see that I have been beaten to it.

6. Oct 16, 2008 #5
    I have simplified the example because the actual formula has e raised to multiple units. I thought if I could understand how a single unit is handled then I could figure out all of the units would be handled in the actual formula.

The unit mass is associated with a numerical value so e^mass can be computed. I just don’t understand what the units would be after the calculation.

7. Oct 16, 2008 #6

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What, praty tell, is the unit on the exponent (in its entirety)?

8. Oct 16, 2008 #7
    I have been working in kg, Js, and meter, seconds. I think I can change kg into eV and then into Js and perhaps I can arrive at a unitless exponent.

Thanks for the guidance.
    RON

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?