E raised to a power with units

In summary, the argument of an exponential must be dimensionless and cannot have any units associated with it. This means that when e is raised to a power with units of mass, there must also be one or more terms with a dimension of M-1 present in order for the calculation to be valid. The unit on the exponent must be unitless in order for the calculation to be accurate.
bluestar
When e is raised to a power with units of mass what is the units of the resulting solution?

Physics news on Phys.org
e^{mass}. But more likely, there's a constant missing from your formula.

It can never be done that way. e, or any other constant, can only be raised to a dimensionless quantity. So, if you find a mass term in the exponent, there must also be one or more terms together having a dimension of M-1, and vice versa.

bluestar said:
When e is raised to a power with units of mass what is the units of the resulting solution?
In dimensional analysis, the argument of an exponential must be dimensionless. In other words the argument of an exponential cannot have any units associated with it.

Edit: I see that I have been beaten to it.

I have simplified the example because the actual formula has e raised to multiple units. I thought if I could understand how a single unit is handled then I could figure out all of the units would be handled in the actual formula.

The unit mass is associated with a numerical value so e^mass can be computed. I just don’t understand what the units would be after the calculation.

bluestar said:
I have simplified the example because the actual formula has e raised to multiple units.
What, praty tell, is the unit on the exponent (in its entirety)?

I have been working in kg, Js, and meter, seconds. I think I can change kg into eV and then into Js and perhaps I can arrive at a unitless exponent.

Thanks for the guidance.
RON

1. What is "E raised to a power with units"?

"E raised to a power with units" is a mathematical expression that represents the value of the mathematical constant "e" raised to a certain power, with units attached to the value. The value of "e" is approximately equal to 2.71828.

2. How is "E raised to a power with units" calculated?

The value of "E raised to a power with units" is calculated using the formula e^x, where "x" represents the power to which "e" is raised. This value can also be calculated using a scientific calculator or computer program.

3. What are some real-life applications of "E raised to a power with units"?

"E raised to a power with units" has many applications in fields such as physics, chemistry, and economics. It is commonly used to model exponential growth and decay, as well as in calculating compound interest and population growth.

4. How is "E raised to a power with units" related to logarithms?

The expression "E raised to a power with units" is the inverse function of the natural logarithm function, ln(x). This means that if we take the natural logarithm of "e" raised to a certain power, we will get back the original power as the result.

5. Can "E raised to a power with units" have a negative value?

Yes, "E raised to a power with units" can have a negative value if the power to which "e" is raised is a negative number. This indicates a decrease or decay in the value being modeled, such as in the case of exponential decay.