Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

E.S.P Challenge

1. Feb 26, 2006 #1
    Putting E.S.P to the test by Physicist.

I think we need a PF to choose Items of their choice and have all the people in the forum try to perceive the items by E.S.P (Extra Sensory Perception) just to see the ratio of results and post the end results when the item is perceived by a User, To make it a little more rigorous and eliminate a coincidence, have a PF choose 3 Items instead of 1, if the user can guess all 3 items with a single post there might be some substance and maybe Science will recognize there is more to E.S.P than what was currently thought.

I had involuntary E.S.P up to the age of 12 and it dissappeared in my teens and become a very rare occasion in my Adult hood, in Adult hood it only appears involuntarily if my life is some how in jeopardy or will have some crisis, Like my car breaking down, It has saved my life at least a dozon times, I can't call upon it, It just happens.:bugeye:

I bet all the Physicists in the forum will be lurking around the E.S.P Challenge, Waiting in a deep dark corner tearing at their finger nails on this one.:surprised

Last edited: Feb 27, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2006 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We did this once a couple of years ago and no one got it. We could try again. So that I know this is on the level, I will have to be the one to pick something. I will also forward a pic of the object to Greg who can verify the results later if there are any objections. [Provided of course that he has no objections to this for legal reasons, etc].

I'll post a pic of the black bag containing the secret object; probably tomorrow. We will allow one guess per person. The guesses much be clearly identified objects such as a knife, an oil can, a coffee can, a metal chain, an occular plethysmograph, etc. Descriptive answers such as "a round, green object", don't count.

4. Feb 27, 2006 #3
    To control it better.

A Spray painted Black Cardboard Box. (Flat Black)
    A Spray painted White Cardboard Box. (Flat White)
    A Spray painted Grey Cardboard Box. (Primer Grey)

Each Box containing an Item.:bugeye:

Do this on an ocassion you might get lucky to discover a perceptive person, but do this challenge on more than just an occasion will land you a perceptive person eventually.

I know they exist, Not by faith but by experience. They are few and the search is hard.

I also used to know a Girl friend who had it worst than me after a gun blow to the head caused her to begin seeing and knowing your thoughts, It was spooky even when I was use to it as a child. It may be awhile before you get spooked, But keep trying and it will happen and someone will change your life forever.

5. Feb 27, 2006 #4
    Or how about a 6 digit number written on a piece of paper, so we can actually calculate the probability of correctly guessing it >> 1 in a million. If not then Ivans simple black bag will do (u could throw a 6digit number in just for the hell of it).

People with ouijaboards should also give it a try and ask the ghost to give them the number. After all it is often said by those using ouijaboards that it provides knowlegde about things they had no knowledge about.

6. Feb 27, 2006 #5
    I love the claims of ESP.

Usually they claim to be perfect. Then later on it gets weak.

So if your tested. and you dont get perfect. Its just because the ESP is weak.

Wanna prove to me that ESP exists. Win me $1million

http://randi.org/

Many people apply and get tested. yet 100% all fail. Nobody has claimed the $. and one thing. if they did. you'd definately hear about it from LOADS and LOADS of people.

7. Feb 27, 2006 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We'll do this but it may be another day or two before I can get something posted. Today was nuts and tomorrow looks worse. Edit: I'll lock or rename this thread and link to a sticky.

How many people have actually been tested by Randi? How many have applied?

8. Feb 27, 2006 #7
    How many have applied?

9. Feb 27, 2006 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What were their objections?

10. Feb 27, 2006 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think Randi owes this guy a millions bucks; assuming of course that the whole thing passes peer review by the science community.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/4090155.stm

I would also like to know what Mr. Randi has to say about this. Perhaps as a person truly interested in science, Randi should contact this gentleman and talk with his doctors.

11. Feb 27, 2006 #10
    What I gathered from a TV piece on the challenge is that many candidates are not able to agree on what constitutes success or failure of their own claim to the paranormal. The rules are here: http://www.randi.org/research/challenge.html
    It's not so complicated, you just need to clearly state what qualifies as success and what qualifies as failure of your own claim, but most candidates are not able to even do this much. They commonly talk and talk about theory of this and that which is really not relevant to the challenge. And then the few applicants who did agree to the protocol and went through preliminary testing failed to demonstrate anything at all so they were not further considered for the official test.

12. Feb 27, 2006 #11
    well im wondering.

angry or happy. basically a 50% chance at a guess. if he has an accuracy of 59% thats is ohhhhhhhhhhh says 9% above average. But wait i remember probabilities. Take a coin. If you tossed in 1 trillion times. the chances would end up being 50%. but if you only do it 100 times. there is a good chance u can have 60% heads and 40% tails.

which by far can bet is likely whats happening here.

TBH i dont expect him to have any ability. unless it was 90% or better. or if it wasnt so 50% chanced.

Like have him say what face the person is making. and have 10 different possibilities.

Hell if you gave ANY blind man the chance to guess is this person angry or happy. and they simply guess. they could get perfect. they could get the exact same % as this guy.

13. Feb 27, 2006 #12
    Anyone truely with a paranormal ability would find all this complication a joke. as $1 million american is far worth more then any complicated procedures.

14. Feb 28, 2006 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes I know, this shouldn't count even if it passes peer review. I understand.

15. Feb 28, 2006 #14
  16. Feb 28, 2006 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm sorry, what does that have to do with the topic?

17. Feb 28, 2006 #16
    a joke... you see you go HA and one more HA. to make HAHA. Which is a laugh.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

18. Feb 28, 2006 #17

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay, I just wasn't sure. I'm laughing in my mind now. :biggrin:

19. Feb 28, 2006 #18
    A Spray painted Black Cardboard Box. (Flat Black)
    A Spray painted White Cardboard Box. (Flat White)
    A Spray painted Grey Cardboard Box. (Primer Grey)

Item in each Box.

The Neutral Box colors are soothing to the Mind, The Boxes will hide any formation of shape and substance or weight.

If not 3 boxes then use a Cardboard Box. (Flat Black), We can call it the Black Box Test, If you will.

Doing this on a daily basis with lots of people will reveal a perceptive person when one joins this forum and spot the test. Never give up, in my life I have only met two other people that could do E.S.P, in my 38 years of life living in a town of 56,000 people.

There must be lots of participants for the test because E.S.P is rare not common.:bugeye:

20. Feb 28, 2006 #19

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh wow, you want to make me work here?

Just out of curiosity, why the paint? This is intended to assist those viewing the pic of the boxes?

My black bag was really just symbolic of the classic black box of physics, since I didn't have a black box.

We had one young member who was trying to imagine the black bag and where it sat, so he asked where I was. I told him that I was in a giant warehouse filled with thousands of large black bags. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Sorry, sometimes I crack myself up. Anyway, I told him I was kidding after he freaked out. :biggrin:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2006
  21. Feb 28, 2006 #20
    The Neutral Box Colors are Target Colors to pick your Brain with.
    The Colors will help concentration on a Specific Box while picking your Noodle, Having three Boxes eliminates coincidents and one might guess two of the Boxes while not the third, The three Neutral Colored Boxes will also give you an idea if there is a Pattern with each Box if for some reason the item only in the Grey box is beeing seen, but not the White or Black Box and Visa Versa.

But will it be the Mysterious Black Box, Only the Shadow knows.:surprised

0 out of 3 Boxes guessed = No E.S.P :yuck:
    1 out of 3 Boxes guessed = A lucky guess or maybe very low E.S.P :rolleyes:
    2 out of 3 Boxes guessed = Wow, Your Good! :bugeye:
    3 out of 3 Boxes guessed = No freaking way! :surprised

Also, I want all you people to try something, Don't laugh yet, When Ivan sets up this test and everything is ready I want you to try something, Take a large heavy object and balance it on top of your head, The object must deliver some pressure to the Cranium then try and guess what is in Ivans Box or Boxes, The Item on Your Head must be Heavy but don't concentrate on the heavy object, Just day dream off on Ivan's Box or Boxes, Try to watch Ivan putting the Item in the Box before He closes it so you can see the Item in Your day dream.:smile:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?