Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

E to the pi i

1. Feb 4, 2005 #1
    ok, here it goes, why is e^(pi.i)=-1 ?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2005 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It comes form Eulers relationship

[tex] e^{ix} = \cos(x) + i \sin(x) [/tex]

Edit: LOL, I fixed it already!
    Now I am moving this to Math.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2005
  4. Feb 4, 2005 #3
    Any complex number [tex] a + bi [/tex] can be written in the form [tex] r(\cos{\theta} + i\sin{\theta}) [/tex]. De Moivre's theorem states that this in turn can be written in the form [tex] re^{i\theta} [/tex]. That is, [tex] re^{i\theta} = r(\cos{\theta} + i\sin{\theta}) [/tex]. Plug in [tex] \theta = \pi [/tex] and behold the magic!

5. Feb 4, 2005 #4
    Was it Euler? well, in that case u would have to use Taylor's expansion series and yes, it would work. Why is this important at all then?

6. Feb 4, 2005 #5
    It is commonly regarded to be one of the most (ahem) beautiful and elegant mathematical relationships in our universe (yes, our :biggrin: ). C'mon, wouldn't you agree that it is beautiful, succintly relating the 5 most important numbers in mathematics?!?! ([tex] e^{\pi i} + 1 = 0 [/tex])

7. Feb 5, 2005 #6

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In addition it uses each of the fundamental mathematical operations, addition, multiplication, exponentiation, and equality. It is consider mathematical poetry.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?