Finding the Value of "e": Exploring the Logarithmic Function

In summary, the conversation discusses the log and Ln functions and the number e, which is approximately 2.718281828459. E is a crucial number in mathematics and has many special properties, such as being the base for exponential functions and having a derivative of itself. The exact value of e is the smallest real number larger than all finite sums of the series 1 + 1 + 1/2! + 1/3! + 1/4! + 1/5!+.... It is also the unique solution to various equations and is related to the natural logarithm function. The origin of the term "e" is unknown, but it is believed to be related to the exponential function.
JPC
hey

i know what the log function is

log a (x) : can be translated to :
a ^ y = x
with y to find

but with the Ln its
ln(x) = e ^ y = x
with y to find

and e = about 2.7...

But why this number ?
whats special about 2.7... ?
whats the exact value of e ?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The exact value of e is e.

Strategies to convert that value into its equivalent decimal representation abound, the most common centering on the defining identity of e:
[tex]e=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n!}, 0!=1, n!=n*((n-1)!), n\geq{1}[/tex]

Goodmoring ALL,
the number e as "arildno" e=e and e can be calculated by an infinite series and it is a Real number.
But you asked why e?
we must know that e is the contraction of eulur, and was a mathematics scientist and he had make a great researches aboiut the number e.
also, what special about e?
physicains had found many phenomenans the changes by a function f(x) = log a(x) [log to the base a]
and the found that the aproximate value of a =2.7...

JPC said:
and e = about 2.7...

But why this number ?
whats special about 2.7... ?
whats the exact value of e ?
Ever heard that [itex]ln[/itex] is sometimes called a natural logarithm.
Why would they call that natural and what a heck does [itex]e[/itex] have to do with nature you may ask.
Instead of answering this in a long and bit a philosophical way ,I will ask you quite a similar question :Why [itex]\pi[/itex] ,and why is important about that constant.I will not answer neither of two questions leaving you to ponder over them alone.
If you ask why is [itex]e=2.71...[/itex]and [itex]\pi=3.14...[/itex] than the answer is simple:That's becouse people like to use decimal number system (and I guess I know why ,when I take a look at my hands).
The last question "what's the exact value of e"?.The most difficult one.
Well I think I will not dare answering that one...

Last edited:
I've dared:
The exact value of e is e. :smile:

the exact value of e is: the smallest real number larger than all finite sums of the series:

1 + 1 + 1/2! + 1/3! + 1/4! + 1/5!+....

it is also exactly the unique x value such that the area under the graPH OF Y = 1/X, FROM X=1 TO x=e IS 1.

it is also probably the unique smallest real number larger than all the powers of form (1+ 1/n)^n, for all positive integers n.

it is approximately equal to 2.718281828459...

e is the unique positive real number a such that the derivative of the function a^x is a^x.

e is the value at x = 1, of the unique solution of the equation

f' = f, f(0) = 1.

e is the unique positive real number a such that the function f(x) = a^x has derivative at zero equal to 1, i.e. such that f'(0) = 1.

Last edited:
arildno said:
I've dared:
The exact value of e is e. :smile:
Yes ,yes .Of course,that is an alphabetical number system !
How could I forget that one...:smile:

Two point seven, two times Ibsen, 459045...:smile:

Why e?

"Real and Complex Analysis" by Walter Rudin starts with a prologue on the exponential function. The first sentence is "The exponential function is the most important function in mathematics."

Among other very useful features,
  • The exponential function is the only function (to within a multiplicative constant) whose derivative is equal to itself.
  • The exponential function is related to the trigonometric functions via the Euler formula,[itex]\exp(ix) = \cos x + i\sin x[/itex].
  • The derivative of the inverse of the exponential function, [itex]\log x[/itex], is simply [itex]1/x[/itex].

The natural logarithm ln(x) is the simplest of the logarithms. It's defined as the area (or integral, if you will) under the graph y=1/t when t goes from 1 to x. Specifically, when the area is 1, ln(x)=e (just like mathwonk said). Also, the inverse function of ln(x) is e^x, which you may know is the only function which is its own derivative (well, it can be multiplied by a constant too), which makes it even more special.

Euler himself used "e" as signifying the exponential function.
Only fifth-rate mathematicians assign their own name to their objects of study, and Euler was top-of-the-notch.

Noone knows why he called the number "e"; it is perhaps most likely it originally was short-hand for "that number which serves most "naturally" as the base in Exponential functions".

Last edited:
Any exponential function ax has the property that its derivative (rate of change) is just a constant times itself: Cax. You can show that for a= 2, that number is less than 1 but that for a= 3 it is larger than 1. There exist a number between 2 and 3 such that the constant is exactly 1. That is the number we call e. The function ex has the property that its derivative is simply ex itself.

mathwonk said:
the exact value of e is: the smallest real number larger than all finite sums of the series:

1 + 1 + 1/2! + 1/3! + 1/4! + 1/5!+....

What does the : '!' mean ?

See post 2, for definition of n!

"!" means factorial: 5!=5*4*3*2*1. So, in general n!=n(n-1)(n-2)...1.

thanks

i tested with a program :
with ent.text : sum of all from 0 to ent
res.tex : the result

Dim c As String
Dim d As String
Dim f As String
Dim a As String

f = "1"
a = "1"

c = 1

Do Until c * 1 = ent.Text * 1
a = a * 1 * c * 1
d = 1 / a * 1 f = f + d * 1

c = c + 1 * 1

Loop

res.Text = f
and result is good

1. What is the value of "e"?

The value of "e" is an irrational number that is approximately equal to 2.71828. It is also known as Euler's Number and is a fundamental constant in mathematics.

2. How is "e" related to the logarithmic function?

"e" is the base of the natural logarithm, which is a logarithmic function that is used to solve exponential equations. The natural logarithm of a number is the power to which "e" must be raised to equal that number.

3. What is the importance of "e" in mathematics?

"e" is important in mathematics because it appears in many important formulas and is used to model natural phenomena such as population growth and compound interest. It also has connections to calculus and the study of exponential and logarithmic functions.

4. How is "e" calculated?

"e" is an irrational number, so it cannot be calculated exactly. However, it can be approximated using various methods, such as the Taylor series or continued fractions. The more terms that are used in the approximation, the more accurate the result will be.

5. What are some real-life applications of "e"?

"e" has many real-life applications, including in finance and economics, where it is used to calculate compound interest and growth rates. It is also used in physics, biology, and other sciences to model natural phenomena. Additionally, "e" is used in statistics and probability to calculate the normal distribution and other probability distributions.