1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

E^x expansion

1. May 26, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A resistor and inductor are connected in series to a battery. The current in the circuit ( in A ) is given by I = 2.7(1-e-0.1), where t is the time since the circuit was closed. By using the series for ex, find the first three terms of the expansion of this function.

2. Relevant equations
    ex = 1 + x + x2/2! + ... + xn/n!

3. The attempt at a solution
    Would I substitute -0.1 for x in this expansion like so: ex = 1 - 0.1 - 0.12/2! ? And then place this expansion into the original function 2.7(1-(1 - 0.1 - 0.12/2!)) ?? And finally, multiply the 2.7 back in?

This isn't coming out to one of my answer choices. Where have I gone wrong in my setup?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2009 #2

djeitnstine

Gold Member

[tex]e^x = 1 +(-0.1) + \frac{(-0.1)^2}{2}[/tex] Substituting you get [tex]2.7 (1- \left( 1 +(-0.1) + \frac{(-0.1)^2}{2} \right))[/tex] Watch your minus signs.

4. May 26, 2009 #3

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do you mean

[tex]I(t) = 2.7(1 - e^{-0.1t})[/tex]? (There's no "t" in your formula.)

I see a couple of problems. First,

[tex](-0.1)^2 = 0.1^2[/tex], not [tex]-0.1^2[/tex]

Second, notice that the "1" terms cancel, leaving you with only two terms. The problem asks for three, so you probably need to include the [tex]0.1^3[/tex] term as well.

5. May 26, 2009 #4
    It kills me when I try to get clever and my signs get skewed.

So, now I've added a couple steps to insure I'm sign-correct and also added the third term to account for the 1's canceling.

Here is the setup:
    [tex]I = 2.7 (1- \left( 1 +(-0.1) + \frac{(-0.1)^2}{2} + \frac{(-0.1)^3}{6}\right))[/tex]

Clear the 1's and multiply by 2.7...

[tex] 2.7(-0.1) + \frac{2.7(-0.1)^2}{2} + \frac{2.7(-0.1)^3}{6}[/tex]

Pull out the fractions to please the prof:

[tex] 2.7(-0.1) + \frac{1}{2}2.7(-0.1)^2+ \frac{1}{6}2.7(-0.1)^3[/tex]

The numbers come out almost right. And the missing 't' from the problem shows in the answer key so I've arbitrarily added the [tex]t,t^2,[/tex] and [tex]t^3[/tex]

The answer I got is:
    [tex]I(t) = -0.27t + 0.0135t^2 - 0.00045t^3[/tex] but to match the answer, I'd have to multiply by -1 to get the signs right. I'm close but there must be another tidbit I've overlooked. Or there's a typo in the answer key...

I wonder if this is like a falling object where the negative sign is removed(or multiplied by -1) in relation to time.

6. May 26, 2009 #5

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You only applied the - sign to the first term inside the inner parentheses. It should have been applied to all of them! (Distributive law.)

7. May 26, 2009 #6
    Ahhhhh... it's not 1-(...) it's 1-1(....) Dangit! I'm so caught up in the new stuff I forgot the details.

Thanks so much!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook