E1 Transitions: Finding the Minimal Emission Direction in a Hydrogen Atom

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transition
In summary, the hydrogen atom in state (|210>+|211>)/sqrt(2) will emit radiation in a direction that is given by the complex valued expectation value <F|X|I>, which can be evaluated using the off diagonal terms of the formula.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A hydrogen atom is in state (|210>+|211>)/sqrt(2) relative to some fixed coordinate system. Assume only E1 transitions contribute. To which direction in space the rate of emission will be minimal?

Homework Equations

The rate of emission is proportional to
[tex]|<F|X|I> \cdot \epsilon|^2[/tex]
where F is the final state and I is initial state.
F=(|210>-|211>)/sqrt(2)
I=(|210>+|211>)/sqrt(2)
epsilon is polarization vector.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to find epsilon here, the TA said that <F|X|I> should be complex valued but if I am not mistaken it equals 0.5(<210|X|210>-<211|X|211>), and this is real valued.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi MathematicalPhysicist,

Your formula for the expectation value isn't quite right. You should be able to check, either by symmetry arguments or by direct evaluation, that the diagonal terms you've written are zero. It may be useful to look again at the off diagonal terms.

Hope this helps.

1. What is the purpose of studying E1 transitions in a hydrogen atom?

The main purpose of studying E1 transitions in a hydrogen atom is to understand the behavior of electrons in the atom when they change energy levels. This helps us gain insights into the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics and the structure of atoms.

2. How are E1 transitions different from other types of electronic transitions?

E1 transitions are different from other types of electronic transitions because they involve a single photon being absorbed or emitted by the atom. This is in contrast to other types of transitions, such as E2 or M1, which involve the absorption or emission of multiple photons.

3. What is the minimal emission direction in a hydrogen atom?

The minimal emission direction in a hydrogen atom refers to the direction in which the emitted photon has the lowest energy. This direction is determined by the orientation of the electron's spin and the direction of the external magnetic field.

4. How is the minimal emission direction determined?

The minimal emission direction is determined by solving the Schrödinger equation for the hydrogen atom in the presence of an external magnetic field. This equation takes into account the spin of the electron and the energy levels of the atom.

5. What are the practical applications of studying E1 transitions in a hydrogen atom?

Studying E1 transitions in a hydrogen atom has many practical applications, such as in spectroscopy, where it is used to identify and analyze the composition of substances. It also has applications in technologies such as lasers and atomic clocks, which rely on the precise control of electronic transitions in atoms.