Earphone Comfort: Is Over-the-Head or In-Ear Better?

• Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pain
In summary, the person has tried a lot of different brands of ear buds, none of which have worked well for them. The ear buds hurt after a while and the pressure on the ear canal causes pain. They have found one pair of ear buds that are silicone and conform to the shape of the ear, but they eventually hurt the ears. The ear buds are also easily lost.
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I work out much better listening to music (like most people) but I have to wear those over-the-head earphones. They're the only thing that's comfortable.

Does anyone else find that their ears are in pain when wearing ear buds for longer than a few minutes? I don't mean pain from music that's too loud, I mean pain in the cartilage.

And I've tried a lot of different brands...no difference. Anything that goes in my ear is really, really painful.

Physics news on Phys.org
My daughter swears by some earbuds for her ipod that she just bought. I'll try to get the name. They look like pink jelly.

Try going to a gym that plays music. That's what I do.

I take off my hearing aid before going to the gym, and I don't listen to music. I hear the music they play at the gym (I don't hear it all the time and not sure if they play it all the time) and that's good enough for me. It's a busy gym so that seems to keep me mentally occupied enough.

I work pretty hard while at the gym and find that the cord gets in the way all the time.

My suggestion to you though since you like music at the gym, is to try those headphones that wrap around behind you neck rather than over your head. I doubts you'll find in the ear earphones that don't hurt you because it sounds like your outer ear doesn't have the support needed to have them, hence you have to push it into the ear further than most people. That causes the pain because you're actually using them improperly.

I used to have the exact same problem until I stumbled across this on really amazing pair... I don't know what it's called (sorry :/ ) but it's manufactured by Sony. They broke, and I found another pair at Wal-Mart.

Either way, the main thing is that they have silicon ear buds that conform to the shape of your inner ear and evenly distribute any pressure. The ear buds are also removable and come in different sizes, so if you have huge ears or tiny ones, it'll fit.

The main downfall is that the buds are easily lost, but I solved that with a little super glue. ^_^

Hope this helps!

EDIT: Ok, I found it: Sony MDR-EX51LP Fontopia In-The-Ear Headphones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably, SkullCandy (sp?) or the like Evo...

I have over the ear things and they hurt like hell...

lisab said:
I work out much better listening to music (like most people) but I have to wear those over-the-head earphones. They're the only thing that's comfortable.

Does anyone else find that their ears are in pain when wearing ear buds for longer than a few minutes? I don't mean pain from music that's too loud, I mean pain in the cartilage.

And I've tried a lot of different brands...no difference. Anything that goes in my ear is really, really painful.

They hurt me after a while too. But, it's not pain from pressure, but more the spot where they sit seems to get overheated or something and the skin gets red and inflamed. I did find one brand with silicone buds that go a bit into the ear canal, and sells with three different sized buds so you can choose the one that fits your ear best. They still eventually bother my ears, but I don't have that quick response that regular ear buds cause. But even small headphones that press against the outer ear hurt me too. I think I just have sensitive ears, or else there's something in that foam padding on them that I'm allergic to.

I have some ones like Moonbear just described, they are made by skullcandy and they were expensive, I think I paid about 80 bucks for them. They sound a lot better than the Ipod headphones. I bought a pair after my cat ate the ones that came with my IPod. The only problem is I just lost the size of bud that fits my ears so I can't use them now.

http://www.skullcandy.com/shop/fullmetaljacket-p-30.html?zenid=c298e8faead9e09791ba9c589e38a205 [Broken]

One thing I like about this brand is that if anything happens to them, it doesn't matter if your cat ate them or you somehow set them on fire Skullcandy will give you the next pair for 50% off.

I did find these phones took a bit of getting used to, they almost hurt a bit in the beginning (ears were kind of sore) but once I got used to them they were fine, just make sure you use the right ear bud size. They also stay in a lot better than the stock Ipod ones.

Don't know that I'm ready to spend $80 but I'll definitely check out the cheaper jelly ones, even though the thought of putting jelly in my ears is sort of :yuck: (:wink:) .

You shouldn't store your earphones in the same drawer as the catnip, scorpa!

Evo said:
My daughter swears by some earbuds for her ipod that she just bought. I'll try to get the name. They look like pink jelly.

This?

31F927PW5TL._AA280_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000IXRLN8/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I've found out that my ears aren't symmetrical. I don't think you can tell by looking, but earbuds don't fit the same in each ear. I thought I was the only one who got sore ears from them. It takes a long time before my ears start to hurt, but eventually it gets unbearable. I can't figure out what the real cause is though. Either the constant deformation of part of my ear causes discomfort, or the constant pressure causes a bruising or something. I found the same solution every one else has suggested. The ones I got were from Sony and were around 80 dollars I think. They really are much more comfortable, and sound much better.

Skullcandy is definitely not the brand I have, but it might be Sony. They're white with gray tips for the ears. I got them at the Apple Store. Yes, they were pricey (I'm not sure if they were in the $80 range though...not sure I'd pay that much unless I was in a very spendy mood). They do sound better too, because they block out more of the surrounding sound (but not so much that you'd get run over not hearing a bicycle horn or bell behind you when out walking).

Like tribdog, I suddenly feel vindicated to know I'm not alone about my ears hurting from earbuds. I also used to think I was the only weirdo with sensitive ears. I love knowing that I have a PF support group for people with sensitive ears. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
Skullcandy is definitely not the brand I have, but it might be Sony. They're white with gray tips for the ears. I got them at the Apple Store. Yes, they were pricey (I'm not sure if they were in the $80 range though...not sure I'd pay that much unless I was in a very spendy mood). They do sound better too, because they block out more of the surrounding sound (but not so much that you'd get run over not hearing a bicycle horn or bell behind you when out walking).

Like tribdog, I suddenly feel vindicated to know I'm not alone about my ears hurting from earbuds. I also used to think I was the only weirdo with sensitive ears. I love knowing that I have a PF support group for people with sensitive ears. :biggrin:

:rofl:

Me: My name is Lisa, and I have sensitive ears.

PF support group: Hi, Lisa...

I use a couple different types of earbuds that are comfortable to me.

I use a type of earbud from Shure, that is totally in-ear, and comes with 9 different sizes and types of covers for the earbud. It has amazing sound and it extremely comfortable (if you wear it right. Not many people know how to wear them, so read the manual. :rofl:)

I also use a type of earbud called Outies. They clip to the back of your ear and vibrate, so you hear your music without even having the earbuds in your ears.

The first type is for sound canceling, and the second type allows you to hear all of your surroundings.

Nonetheless, I never have problems with them.

Math Jeans said:
I use a couple different types of earbuds that are comfortable to me.

I use a type of earbud from Shure, that is totally in-ear, and comes with 9 different sizes and types of covers for the earbud. It has amazing sound and it extremely comfortable (if you wear it right. Not many people know how to wear them, so read the manual. :rofl:)

I also use a type of earbud called Outies. They clip to the back of your ear and vibrate, so you hear your music without even having the earbuds in your ears.

The first type is for sound canceling, and the second type allows you to hear all of your surroundings.

Nonetheless, I never have problems with them.

Jeans! Where've you been?!?

Earbuds are for losers. I got a set similar to these, they don't sound that good but they are very comfortable.

41MM1CA3ZZL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Topher925 said:
Earbuds are for losers. I got a set similar to these, they don't sound that good but they are very comfortable.

41MM1CA3ZZL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

See, those over the ear type things bug me too...and always feel like they're going to fall off. It's like the hands-free earpieces for cell phones...I think I'm more dangerous with those than just holding the phone, because I keep being distracted feeling like the earpiece is going to fall off my ear and then reaching for it to check it's still secure. And then the loop around my ear starts to rub my ear and chafe.

HI Lisab!
I'm Moonbear, and I have sensitive ears too. :biggrin:

Topher925 said:
they don't sound that good but they are very comfortable.

I'll have to get some, ohh, but first I need to finish paying off my new car. It doesn't run, but the paint job is amazing.

lisab said:
Jeans! Where've you been?!?

Long story.

1. Why do earphones sometimes cause pain?

Earphones can cause pain for a few reasons. The most common reason is that they are not properly fitting in your ears, causing pressure or discomfort. Additionally, listening to music or sound at high volumes can also cause pain or discomfort in the ears.

2. How can I make my earphones more comfortable?

To make your earphones more comfortable, you can try adjusting the positioning of the earbuds in your ears. You can also try using different sized ear tips to find the best fit for your ears. Another option is to switch to over-ear headphones, which can be more comfortable for some people.

3. Is it normal for earphones to cause pain after prolonged use?

No, it is not normal for earphones to cause pain after prolonged use. If your earphones are causing pain, it is likely due to improper fit or high volume levels. It is important to take breaks from using earphones and to ensure they are properly fitting in your ears.

4. Can earphones cause permanent damage to my ears?

Yes, earphones can cause permanent damage to your ears if used at high volumes for extended periods of time. This can lead to noise-induced hearing loss. It is important to use earphones at a safe volume level and to take breaks from using them.

5. Are there any earphones designed for maximum comfort?

Yes, there are earphones designed specifically for maximum comfort. These earphones typically have soft and adjustable ear tips, as well as ergonomic designs to fit comfortably in the ear. It is important to do research and read reviews to find the most comfortable earphones for your needs.