1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Earliest career aspirations

1. Aug 25, 2007 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As a child, what did you dream of becoming when you grew up? I remember wanting to be a drum majorette and a veterinarian. I became neither.

What about you?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2007 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Astronomer or archaeolgist. I became neither and I still would like to.

4. Aug 25, 2007 #3

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Astronaut. Totally astronaut. My parents woke me up when I was 5 & 6 years old to watch the nighttime Apollo launches. I had astronauts and planets all over my room. I started an Astrophysics major in college. My enthusiasm waned in 1986.

January 28, 1986.

5. Aug 25, 2007 #4
    Ditto! Although I now have a greater inclination towards astronomy than archaeology. :)

6. Aug 25, 2007 #5

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I remember that day. I was living in Clear Lake, TX at the time, near NASA. :frown:

7. Aug 25, 2007 #6
    I wanted to be an adventurous scientist. I watched a lot of MacGyver. Still watch and still want to.

8. Aug 25, 2007 #7
    When I was really little I wanted to be a farmer like my daddy haha, then an anthropologist, when I was a bit older I wanted to be a pharmacist but decided that it wasn't for me and sounded to boring. So naturally now I am doing neither of those things and am in medical science which I love.

9. Aug 25, 2007 #8

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nobody want to be a firefighter? Cowboy? Cowgirl?

10. Aug 25, 2007 #9
    I consider myself still a child and I want to be a theoretical physicist or a mathematician.

11. Aug 25, 2007 #10
    I wanted to be a photographer for National Geographic. I loved looking though those, but I never read the articles. Somehow I got it in my head that I wanted to be a stuntman once, must have been too many Jakie Chan movies.

I never went down the science and math route until high school.

12. Aug 25, 2007 #11
    I wanted to be a commercial airline pilot. I realized that it's not the lifestyle I want, and later decided on being an aerospace engineer. Somewhat related.

13. Aug 25, 2007 #12
    I didn't know as a child I was a bit too well all over the place. I think the earliest memory of being asked what I wanted to be was at 7, a guy I didn't like much said he wanted to be a policeman, so I said I wanted to be a criminal.

I think until I left school I never really had any idea, I was interested in a lot of things, but not really heavily into anything. Biology, then something in physics, but only after my college years. Now I want to be a clinical scientist in a hospital, working in medical physics, but it's gonna to take time, a whole lot of precious time, a whole lot of patience and time to do it right now :smile:. Ten years to be precise.

14. Aug 25, 2007 #13

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

SD, I think you will be much happier as a scientist than a criminal - of course, you could always combine the two and become an eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevil scientist. How's your evil laugh? :biggrin:

15. Aug 25, 2007 #14

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

George Harrison! (covering ...)

16. Aug 25, 2007 #15
    How could I forget, when I was younger I also wanted to be a famous motorcycle racer. That was definitely my funnest most deluded career goal haha.

17. Aug 25, 2007 #16
    in order:

1. veterinarian
    2. tennis pro
    3. oil painting master
    4. mathematician
    5. pianist
    6. mathematician
    7. civil engineer
    8. back to math...

18. Aug 25, 2007 #17

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Very early on I wanted to be Doctor. Assemblimng a Visible Man, was the extent of my medical education.

19. Aug 26, 2007 #18
    I wanted to be a veterinarian or park ranger when I was little. Later I wanted to write and illustrate comic books.
    I worked in a vet clinic once but hated it. Dead and dying animals are no fun. And I got over comic books but still want to write.

20. Aug 26, 2007 #19

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I just wanted to file all day. :rofl:

I wanted to be a doctor or astronaut when I was little. That changed to teacher by the time I was in high school.

I worked with satellites in the Air Force, but most of those jobs wound up being in training shops, or developing procedures, or evaluating the satellite operators' performance (going through the telemetry, commanding record, etc to figure out just where either they went wrong, the procedure went wrong, or the satellite went wrong).

Since retiring from the Air Force, I work with a couple different satellite programs, but I also teach at least one class a month so I still haven't strayed that far away from what I wanted to do when I was in high school.

21. Aug 26, 2007 #20

radou

Homework Helper

Don't know 'bout myself, but my uncle wanted to be a garbage man. He ended up as an art historician. :tongue:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?