Early attempts at determining the speed of sound?

In summary, the first experiments to find the speed of sound were conducted thousands of years ago by observing the time lag between lightning and thunder. However, the first accurate measurement was made in 1870 using lanterns and human reaction times. Early attempts to measure the speed of sound were similar to those used for light speed, such as making a noise and an optical signal at the same time. The equations for sound speed under different conditions were also developed during this time. Later, a scientist noticed the positions of Jupiter's moons and correctly predicted the speed of light.
BigRedRod
As the title suggests, I'm curious about the first experiments to find the speed of sound and who developed/performed them. Who was the first to really have a good crack at it? And who came up with the equations to how it varies under differing conditions?

We hear all the time about other attempts at defining physical constants but I have no idea about this one (I'm aware it isn't really a constant, due to variation with air density and temperature, but still, you get my drift I'm sure)

So can anyone shed any light on this subject?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have a vague idea of it. My physics teacher last year told us a bit about it... shows how much I really paid attention... He said something about a large field with 1 guy at each end. One of them had a bell, or some other device that made a large sound. They measured the time for the sound to travel the distance of the field. I don't remember what their names were. Sorry I can't be of more help...

I am not exactly sure, but I know something about early attempts to measure light speed. They deduced that the speed of light was at least 8 times the speed of sound I think, but the experiment inherantly inaccurate as it realied on human reaction times.

I imagine early speed of sound experiments were similar...make a noise at the same time as make an optical signal. The speed of sound could easily be obtained.

As for equations under different conditions, I'm not sure on that one.

i believe the earliest test was done in about 1870 after an idea by Galileo. (All of that might be wrong but the next bit is true).

Two people were to have lanterns and they would get used to turning them on simulatious. They were then separated by about 3 miles, told to turn the lights on at almost the same time and then the time it took to get from on lantern to the other was measured by the time it took for the other person's lantern to be seen. The distance was too close and the human error was too great for it to be accurate.

Then there was another person that noticed the positions on Jupiter's Moons in relation to the Earth and noticed that they were behind schedule on month and ahead of it another. He predicted the speed of light to be [tex]2.98[/tex] [tex]\times[/tex] [tex]10^8 ms^{-1}[/tex]. The person that did this even told scientists that an eclipse of one of Jupiter's Moons would be 10 minutes late to what people thought and he was right.

The Bob (2004 ©)

P.S. If you really want more details I will have to get out of my chair and go and get my sheet from my physics class.

BoB:
are we talking about sound or light??

the first experiment finding speed of sound...Hm... I think it was done a couple thousands years ago... when our ancestor observse the sound of the lightning always come after the light... By dividing the distance where the lightning strike and the time lags between the light and sound, you will approximately calculate the speed of sound... with a very good accuracy

vincentchan said:
BoB:
are we talking about sound or light??
We are all allowed an off day. I am talking about light but he rest of you are not so I feel a little bit stupid :frown:

OH WELL :biggrin:

The Bob (2004 ©)

What is the history behind early attempts at determining the speed of sound?

Early attempts at determining the speed of sound date back to ancient times, with Greek philosophers such as Aristotle and Pythagoras making observations and theories about the speed of sound. However, it wasn't until the 17th century that more scientific experiments were conducted to accurately measure the speed of sound.

How did early scientists attempt to measure the speed of sound?

Early scientists used various methods to measure the speed of sound, including timing the delay between a visual cue and the sound of a cannon firing, or using an echo and measuring the distance it traveled. However, these methods were often inaccurate and inconsistent.

Who were some of the key figures in early attempts at determining the speed of sound?

There were several key figures in the history of determining the speed of sound, including Galileo Galilei, Pierre Gassendi, and Isaac Newton. However, the most notable figure was the Dutch scientist Christiaan Huygens, who conducted multiple experiments and developed a more accurate method for measuring the speed of sound.

What were some of the major challenges faced by early scientists in determining the speed of sound?

One major challenge faced by early scientists was the lack of precise instruments and technology. This made it difficult to accurately measure the small time intervals involved in determining the speed of sound. Additionally, scientists had to account for external factors such as temperature and air pressure, which can affect the speed of sound.

How did early attempts at determining the speed of sound contribute to our understanding of sound and physics?

Early attempts at determining the speed of sound laid the foundation for our understanding of sound and physics today. They helped to establish the relationship between sound and distance, and also led to the development of more accurate methods and instruments for measuring the speed of sound. This knowledge has been crucial in various fields such as engineering, acoustics, and music.