I think the question is: How were early color photographs created?

• Thread starter AzMaphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Color
In summary, the conversation discussed a website with a collection of color photographs from WWI. The photographs appear to be hand painted, which was a common method of coloring photos during that time. The process involved using dyed starch particles to act as color filters on a black and white photographic plate. This created a similar effect to a "pointilliste" style painting. The conversation also mentioned personal experience with hand-colored photographs in the 1950s.
AzMaphysics
Earlier today, I was browsing a wonderful WWI inventory of color photographs when I stumbled upon some rather strange looking ones.If you go to the color picture gallery on the left side column of the page and then go to page two, you will see a few examples of what I am talking about. http://www.greatwar.nl/frames/default-hurley.html [Broken] The photographs look almost like they were drawn. Why is this?

P.S. Sorry about not being able to post a direct link.

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Many of those "color" photos appear to be hand painted. This was the usual manner of coloring photos in that era.

One of the pages describes the process (unfortunately they seem to be displayed as frames so I don't know how to give a URL for the right page).

Basically they took fine starch particles (flour), dyed them in the 3 primary colours and mixed them evenly, then spread the mixture on a black and white photographic plate. When taking the photo the grains acted as colour filters, and when viewing it they colour the reflected light.

The URL points out the effect is indeed the same as a "pointilliste" style painting.

Many early (and not so early) "colour" photos were indeed hand coloured. I've got some photos of myself (taken in the UK in the 1950s) that were done that way. I can clearly remember the photographer writing notes on the colour of hair, eyes, clothes, etc after taking the pictures.

Last edited:

1. How were early color photographs made?

Early color photographs were made using a variety of methods, including the three-color process, which involved taking three separate black and white photographs through red, green, and blue filters and then combining them to create a color image. Other methods included using specialized colored dyes and pigments on the photographic plate or film, or using a combination of multiple exposures with different color filters.

2. When were early color photographs first invented?

The first successful color photograph was taken in 1861 by James Clerk Maxwell using the three-color process. However, it wasn't until the early 1900s that more practical methods of producing color photographs were developed and made available to the public.

3. What were the limitations of early color photographs?

Early color photographs often had issues with color accuracy and fading over time. The process of creating color photographs was also more time-consuming and expensive compared to black and white photography. Additionally, the technology and materials used for early color photographs were not as advanced as they are today, leading to lower quality images.

4. How did early color photographs impact the development of photography?

The invention of color photography revolutionized the field of photography and opened up new artistic possibilities. It allowed for a more realistic representation of the world and enabled photographers to capture and convey emotions and moods through color. It also led to the development of new techniques and advancements in color film and printing technology.

5. Are there any notable early color photographs or photographers?

Yes, there are many notable early color photographs and photographers, including Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii, who took some of the earliest color photographs of Russia in the early 1900s. Other notable photographers include Edward S. Curtis, who documented Native American cultures in color, and Autochrome Lumière, who developed the first commercially available color photography process in 1907.