Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Early Decision/Election Policy whats up with that

1. Jul 25, 2004 #1
    Well I've been doing some searching around and getting information on some of the top schools in the USA.. and I came up with this thing they call ED...(early decision) policy... which to me seems unfair. Schools like Yale and Stanford have it.. and now even Harvard. What it does is basically limit students to apply to more than one school under the ED program...

In my search I found this article.. and I am not really sure how ED works in favor of the school.. and if there is any benefit for the students... so I hope someone here can explain ED to me:

http://www.collegeconfidential.com/experts/eddh.htm
    "Put yourself in the shoes of the average family who has a child with great grades, test scores, and co-curricular involvement. Typical (consistent) stuff, right? Imagine the following scenario: You follow the "rules" about applying to only one ED school, and do not get accepted. Many colleges don't automatically move you into the regular decision pool (another tactic that does not serve the consumer well), so you might think you have a chance with RD. Meanwhile, let's pretend you could have been accepted at another college ED if only you had also applied there, regardless of NACAC's "rules." How fair is this to a student who might have been accepted ED at another college, but not the only one s/he was "told" they could apply to?

Not very fair at all, given issues of differential financial aid packaging in ED-and let's remember "meeting need" guarantees you just that: you'll have your need met-but what we don't tell students beforehand is what the components of the award might be. Many students get excited about ED acceptance. Unfortunately they often find out that the reality of a heavy loan burden creates a situation where the family second-guesses the true value of investing so much in something that does not guarantee anything about future wealth, career options, physical/emotional health, professional, or personal success. Many decide to go elsewhere, and a few end up with no choices at all because they followed the "rules."

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2004 #2
    Does anyone know...

4. Jul 27, 2004 #3

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Early decision is only meant for an applicant who knows for certain that he wants to attend a certain school and will if he is accepted. The very nature of it is such that it wouldn't make any sense to apply to more than one school under ED, for that would mean you had no clear preference. It's probably best if you're fairly certain you'll get in.

5. Jul 27, 2004 #4
    I see.. thanks for clearing that up... it makes sense... and its kind of fair.. but not entirely.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?