ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
ZapperZ submitted a new PF Insights post

Early Physics Education in High Schools

wanttophysicsp1-80x80.png

Continue reading the Original PF Insights Post.

Answers and Replies

Andy Resnick
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
ZapperZ submitted a new PF Insights post

<snip>.

This is a good start- my only comment is that the post does not explain *why* a foundation in mathematics is so important- it's the language of quantitative science. Not being prepared mathematically is like being semi-literate or worse. Just as one would not expect to be a music major without knowing how to read music, one should not expect to be a STEM major without knowing how to 'read' equations. A second reason is that the formal structure of mathematics provides a framework for logical thoughts/arguments and deductive reasoning.

Likes Klystron and Greg Bernhardt
Thank you, ZapperZ. I am just finishing my senior year of high school (Only a week left). I have taken AP Calculus AB and will still practice many problems over the summer. Unfortunately, I did not have the greatest high school physics experience. It's a good thing I was interested in the subject way before taking the class (Honors Physics). Are there any ways I can prepare over the summer before taking Physics for Science and Engineering I in the Fall? Perhaps some textbooks or online sources? I already own the Feynman Lectures, University Physics 13th Edition, and Giancoli's 6th Edition.

Likes Greg Bernhardt