1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Earnshaw's Theorem

1. Oct 18, 2014 #1
    In Electrodynamics text by Griffiths there is the statement of Earnshaw's theorem "a charged particle cannot be held in a stable equilibrium by electrostatic forces alone." But if we consider the system in which a positive charge is placed midway(where E is zero) between two positive charges of equal magnitude which are held in position by external forces. If the charge in the middle is displaced axially , then the electrostatic force will force it back into the equilibrium position.So isn't the charge in stable equilibrium. Isn't this a violation of Earnshaw's theorem?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2014 #2
    In order for the equilibrium to be stable, it must force back any small displacement from the equilibrium, in every direction, not just axially.
    Consider what happens when you move the charge in a perpendicular direction to the axis.

4. Oct 18, 2014 #3
    Collection of charged particles, not "a charged particle". See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earnshaw%27s_theorem

5. Oct 19, 2014 #4
    Is this true? i have seen the wikipedia page, but the text specifically says"a charged particle". Is it not valid for a single particle?
    I see. So it is valid only in three dimensions.Thanks

6. Oct 23, 2014 #5

Nabeshin

Science Advisor

I guess the reason for the caveat here may be that a single charged particle is clearly in equilibrium.

7. Oct 23, 2014 #6

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

But not in a stable equilibrium as stated in the theorem, just in a neutral equilibrium.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook