1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Earth-Cloud Capacitor

1. Apr 27, 2007 #1
    this question has three parts. i figured out the first and second one. i just dont understand electrical potential energy.

Consider the Earth and a cloud layer 820m above the Earth to be the plates of a parallel-plate capacitor. If the cloud layer has an area of 1.27 km2 = 1.27E+6 m2, what is the capacitance? 1.37×10-8 F

If an electric field strength greater than 4.91E+6 N/C causes the air to break down and conduct charge (lightning), what is the maximum charge the cloud can hold? 55.15C

If the cloud is holding this maximum charge, what is the magnitude of the difference in electric potential between the cloud and the ground?

i took the V the i found in the second problem which was 4.026E9V. and i took q from the second problem and multiplied it by V. i ended up getting 2.22E11. which is wrong..what am i doing wrong? i think i might be using the wrong formulas.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted