Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Earth Core Pressure Matrix

1. Feb 12, 2008 #1
    What would it feel like to stand in the core of the earth?

I was thinking since there would be like pressure coming from one one side, and pressure coming from the other, you would feel skinner. Plus it would be cozy ^^ Although I guess it would be sorta shaky and make you woozy because of the convection in the outer core combined with the stirring of the inner core due to the earth's rotation as per the Coriolis Effect =(

Last edited: Feb 12, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2008 #2
    Ummm… like being burned to death, crushed to death, and suffocated at the same time?
  4. Feb 12, 2008 #3

Gold Member

5. Feb 12, 2008 #4
    Oh, right. Whoops, sorry.

Yes, very cozy. Like you're clasped to the matronly bosom of Gaia!

It would be like floating in zero gravity in space, I think. And even if you were spinning around at the same speed as the earth, I don't think you'd feel dizzy, because you'd be going so slowly it would take an entire day for you to spin around once, right?
  6. Feb 13, 2008 #5
    it'd be hot, and you'd be under so much pressure that you would be crushed into a tiny little crystal, I doubt you'd "feel" a thing then
  7. Feb 13, 2008 #6

Gold Member

Crystalline states possible at those temperatures?
  8. Feb 13, 2008 #7
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?