Calculating the Earth's Recoil Speed After Asteroid Impact

In summary: You used the radius as the circumference. Also, you need to convert the speed of 1 year to m/s, not just the period.
Dick Channy

Homework Statement

Most geologists believe that the dinosaurs became extinct 65 million years ago when a large comet or asteroid struck the earth, throwing up so much dust that the sun was blocked out for a period of many months. Suppose an asteroid with a diameter of 2.0km and a mass of 1.3*10^13 kg hits the Earth with an impact speed of 4.2*10^4 m/s.

a) What is the Earth's recoil speed after such a collision? (Use a reference frame in which the Earth was initially at rest.)

b) What percentage is this of the Earth's speed around the sun?

Homework Equations

I used the law of conservation of momentum (Pf = Pi) This states that the total momentum after an interaction is equal to the total momentum before the interaction.

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Using Pf=Pi, I solved for the final velocity, which is the same for both the Earth and the asteroid, and got 668.896 m/s. (The final velocity is the Earth's recoil speed)

b) NOW for this part, I got from my textbook that the "earth's mean distance from sun (m) = 1.50*10^11 m. Also, I got that the Earth's period (years) = 1.00 years

Using these, I found the speed to be 4756.468798 m/s by converting years to seconds and dividing the two numbers (to get m/s)

Then,

(668.896m/s / 4756.4688798m/s) * 100% = 14%

Did I do this correctly? Did I use the correct numbers from my textbook to get the speed?

Please help!

[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello @Dick Channy,

Welcome to Physics Forums! :smile:

Dick Channy said:

Homework Statement

Most geologists believe that the dinosaurs became extinct 65 million years ago when a large comet or asteroid struck the earth, throwing up so much dust that the sun was blocked out for a period of many months. Suppose an asteroid with a diameter of 2.0km and a mass of 1.3*10^13 kg hits the Earth with an impact speed of 4.2*10^4 m/s.

a) What is the Earth's recoil speed after such a collision? (Use a reference frame in which the Earth was initially at rest.)

b) What percentage is this of the Earth's speed around the sun?

Homework Equations

I used the law of conservation of momentum (Pf = Pi) This states that the total momentum after an interaction is equal to the total momentum before the interaction.

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Using Pf=Pi, I solved for the final velocity, which is the same for both the Earth and the asteroid, and got 668.896 m/s. (The final velocity is the Earth's recoil speed)[/B]
I got something many orders of magnitude different.

Please show your work on that one. (Your approach of using conservation of momentum is correct though -- something must have gone wrong with the arithmetic.)

b) NOW for this part, I got from my textbook that the "earth's mean distance from sun (m) = 1.50*10^11 m. Also, I got that the Earth's period (years) = 1.00 years

Using these, I found the speed to be 4756.468798 m/s by converting years to seconds and dividing the two numbers (to get m/s)

Don't forget that the circumference of a circle is [itex] 2 \pi [/itex] times the radius.

1. How is the Earth's recoil speed after an asteroid impact calculated?

The Earth's recoil speed after an asteroid impact can be calculated using the laws of conservation of momentum. This means that the total momentum of the Earth before the impact is equal to the total momentum of the Earth and the asteroid after the impact.

2. What factors affect the Earth's recoil speed after an asteroid impact?

The Earth's recoil speed after an asteroid impact is affected by the mass and velocity of the asteroid, as well as the mass and initial velocity of the Earth. Additionally, factors such as the angle and location of impact can also impact the Earth's recoil speed.

3. Can the Earth's recoil speed after an asteroid impact be predicted?

Yes, the Earth's recoil speed after an asteroid impact can be predicted using mathematical equations based on the laws of conservation of momentum. However, the accuracy of the prediction may vary depending on the complexity of the impact scenario and any uncertainties in the initial conditions.

4. How does the Earth's recoil speed impact the overall damage caused by an asteroid impact?

The Earth's recoil speed can have a significant impact on the overall damage caused by an asteroid impact. In general, a higher recoil speed means that the Earth will experience a greater amount of damage from the impact, as the force of the impact is directly proportional to the change in momentum.

5. Can the Earth's recoil speed be mitigated in the event of an asteroid impact?

There are currently no known methods for directly mitigating the Earth's recoil speed from an asteroid impact. However, scientists are constantly researching and developing ways to deflect or destroy potentially hazardous asteroids before they reach Earth, which would ultimately reduce the Earth's recoil speed from an impact.