Earth is itself sophisticated

• Thread starter sankalpmittal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Earth
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of inertia and how it explains why objects on Earth do not move in a backward direction despite Earth's high velocity. It is also mentioned that the same principle applies in a moving train. The conversation also touches upon Newton's first law and vector addition. The questions posed in the conversation revolve around the same topic and seek further clarification on the concept.
sankalpmittal
Hiii , I have 3 questions .

1. How can we move in opposite direction of Earth's rotation despite of Earth's high velocity ?
Image1 :http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=a2wyh3&s=7

2. Suppose we jump on the surface of Earth , while Earth is in rotation , then why we don't move backward or why we are not backward of the actual position in which we were standing before ?
Image2 :http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=119pb1d&s=7

3. Do these same reasons of above two questions apply in train also , while we are jumping in it or moving in its opposite direction ( In moving train ) ? If so or not so why ?

Please don't go on the images . I made them in hurry .

Thanks in advance .( I am 14 years , class 10th )

Umm , atmosphere moves with the Earth ? Why ? Due to gravity ? If yes then please explain that in detail .

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
The answer is inertia. Objects in motion tend to stay in motion. A person standing on the Earth is already moving with the rotating Earth and just continues to do so when he jumps. Inertia is why you can throw a ball. The ball keeps moving in the same direction it was at the moment you let go of it. If it wasn't for inertia, the ball would just drop straight down to the ground the instant it left your hand.

Like Janus said, Inertia is one of the primary answers. Another is to realize that speed is relative. If you are in an Airplane, no one in the plane appears to be moving at all. However to me on the ground waving goodbye, everyone is moving at several hundred miles per hour. We USUALLY refer to motion with regards to the ground just to avoid confusion, but it is not necessary to use the frame of reference of the Earths surface. After all the astronauts that walked on the Moon were certainly not using the Earth's frame to gauge how fast they went in their lunar rover!

I find it easiest to think of it in terms of vectors. When you're on a train, you have a velocity going forwards, which if you throw a ball, adds to this vector.

And if you don't know how vectors work, don't worry, they're not as hard as some might make you think.

Lobezno said:
I find it easiest to think of it in terms of vectors. When you're on a train, you have a velocity going forwards, which if you throw a ball, adds to this vector.

And if you don't know how vectors work, don't worry, they're not as hard as some might make you think.

This is not the answer to my question . I know about the law of inertia which is the measure of mass and yes its the tendency of body to remain in its original position unless an external force acts on it . (Newton's first law right.)

This is the answer of how an organism can remain at rest or uniform motion inspite of Earth high linear (rotational ) velocity ?

My three questions were different . Please refer my post #1 again .

Thanks .

:)

You've only mentioned the intuitive half of Newton's first law. The second part of it says that unless a force is applied, IT WILL STAY AT THE SAME VELOCITY.

Which means, if I'm going forward, there needs to be a force to make me stop, not a force to keep me going (in reality there's both, but again, that's due to vector addition).

Lobezno said:
You've only mentioned the intuitive half of Newton's first law. The second part of it says that unless a force is applied, IT WILL STAY AT THE SAME VELOCITY.

Which means, if I'm going forward, there needs to be a force to make me stop, not a force to keep me going (in reality there's both, but again, that's due to vector addition).

I am not talking about Newton's first law that is why I just gave its skeleton . Answer my three question in post #1.

sankalpmittal said:
1. How can we move in opposite direction of Earth's rotation despite of Earth's high velocity ?
Image1 :http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=a2wyh3&s=7

2. Suppose we jump on the surface of Earth , while Earth is in rotation , then why we don't move backward or why we are not backward of the actual position in which we were standing before ?
Image2 :http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=119pb1d&s=7

3. Do these same reasons of above two questions apply in train also , while we are jumping in it or moving in its opposite direction ( In moving train ) ? If so or not so why ?

1. The Earth has a high velocity, but the acceleration (a centripetal acceleration) is rather small. It is easy to overcome this force, in fact, it's usually ignored and the Earth's surface considered an inertial frame of reference (which is not the case => approximation).

2. Because of Newton's first law, we are moving with the Earth. Say we're going at 10m/s because we're on the surface of the Earth (that number is waaaaaaaaay off, but it's an example). When we jump up, we have an additional velocity in the upward direction. But that doesn't affect the horizontal direction, so we're still "rotating with the Earth". Hence, we land in the same place if we jump exactly perpendicular, at 90 degrees.

3. The same two things also apply in a train, in fact, the train is usually used as an example of how velocity is relative to frame of reference.

This is simple Newtonian mechanics, why is it hard to grasp? Do you expect to fall backwards against the Earth's rotation?

Chronos said:
This is simple Newtonian mechanics, why is it hard to grasp? Do you expect to fall backwards against the Earth's rotation?

Yes , I got it theoretically . Can anyone explain it mathematically (Questions in post #1)? Just little maths .

I'd advise you against trying to simply understand numbers involved, as that will lead to a plug and chug mentality...very dangerous for a physicist.

I'll let someone LaTex up the maths for you, I'd need to go and actually find out how to use it. :P

sankalpmittal said:
Yes , I got it theoretically . Can anyone explain it mathematically (Questions in post #1)? Just little maths .

There's not really a need to, as it would greatly overcomplicate things.

What is meant by "Earth is itself sophisticated"?

This phrase refers to the idea that the Earth is a highly complex and advanced planet, with a multitude of interconnected systems that sustain life.

What evidence supports the concept of Earth being sophisticated?

There are many pieces of evidence that support this concept, including the diversity of life on Earth, the intricate balance of ecosystems, the complex geological processes, and the capacity for human beings to thrive and evolve on the planet.

How has Earth's sophistication evolved over time?

Earth's sophistication has evolved over billions of years through natural processes such as evolution, plate tectonics, and climate change. However, human activities have also played a significant role in shaping and altering the planet's sophistication.

What are some examples of Earth's sophistication in action?

Examples of Earth's sophistication in action include the water cycle, photosynthesis, the carbon cycle, and the role of biodiversity in maintaining a healthy ecosystem. These processes all work together to sustain life on Earth.

What are the implications of acknowledging Earth's sophistication?

Acknowledging Earth's sophistication highlights the importance of preserving and protecting our planet's delicate balance. It also emphasizes the interconnectedness of all living things and the need for responsible stewardship of the Earth's resources.