Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Earth Map: Grid Projection

1. Oct 26, 2010 #1

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I want a projection of Earth where distances are undistorted. i.e. 10 degrees of latitude at the equator is exactly the same map distance as 10 degrees of latitude at the Arctic Circle.

As a disqualified example, the Mercator Projection has map distance increasing with increasing latitude.

I don't care how this distorts the landmasses and oceans, I simply need something with equal gridmarks that can be used in a software program.

Does this type of projection have a name? I'm going to go looking for world maps in this format.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2010 #2
    They're just called equidistant - you can have a whole range of equidistant projections, conic/azimuthal/etc for a limited area you just have to pick the points you want to fix.

I don't know how you would get an equidistant for the whole earth - it's a little tricky near the poles.

edit see http://www.colorado.edu/geography/gcraft/notes/mapproj/mapproj_f.html for examples

4. Oct 26, 2010 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Yes, it tends toward infinite horizontal zoom near the poles. That's OK.

I'm having trouble finding any but the cheesiest of maps, as if drawn by a grade-schooler.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook