Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Earth or space research?

1. Jan 11, 2017 #1
    If you could only choose one to research which would it be and why?

My priority would be earth first then space based purely on personal interest. Of course I would like to see more about both.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2017 #2

jack action

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'v always been amazed on how little we do to explore the depth of the oceans. I would be more curious about that than exploring other planets.

4. Jan 12, 2017 #3

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

It's almost ironic that it's we can see perhaps a few hundred feet through water, but more than 40 billion light-years through space. o_O

5. Jan 12, 2017 #4
    Space.

The oceans were the next frontier. Space is the final frontier.

We may not know a ton about what's deep under the ocean, but we're confident that there are no cities down there. I don't have the same confidence about all of the other planets in the Milky Way.

6. Jan 12, 2017 #5
    Space. Definitely space.

Even just the solar systems has a vast wealth of useful metals and gases, which can be mined. The monetary value itself means space is the most likely next step.

From a science perspective, you can't hope to find out the secrets of the universe staring at deep water fish and geothermal vents.

7. Jan 12, 2017 #6
    From a mining perspective the ocean produces vast wealth, space consumes vast wealth and returns nothing except movie scripts.

8. Jan 12, 2017 #7

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

This is so incredibly vague. That said my answer is Earth. Because understanding how to live sustainably within our biosphere is not only incredibly important it's something you have to do anyway if you plan on pursuing the Space CadetTM dream of Domed Space CitiesTM at some point down the line.

9. Jan 12, 2017 #8
    Good point, humans can't live on the same suburban block without someone going postal, how they going to live in a tin can indefinitely?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook