Understanding Earth Parameters: Dip Angle, Latitude & More

In summary, the conversation discusses parameters such as dip angle, dip latitude, invariant latitude, geomagnetic latitude, and L-shells. The speakers suggest researching these terms on Wikipedia and recommend using diagrams or models to better understand them.
Ehabali
Hi All,

I have some parameters here and I can not understand what are they mean?

dip Angle
dip Latitude
invariant Latitude
Geomagnetic Latitude
L-Shells

Thanks

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Ehabali! Welcome to PF! :smile:

You can find all these things in wikipedia … for example http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dip_angle" :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Tiny-Tim,
Thank you very much

The problem is that I can't understand deeply what is meant by these expressions.
I read what is written in Wikipedia, but I still can't imagine it.

oooh, i don't think i can improve on several pages of wikipedia :redface:

is there any particular passage from wikipedia you'd like explained? :smile:

It takes a lot of practice to think in three dimensions.

Do the work manually, draw lots of diagrams, reproduces the ones in your book/on the net or build some simple cardboard models.

1. What is the dip angle of the Earth's magnetic field?

The dip angle, also known as the inclination, is the angle between the Earth's magnetic field lines and the horizontal plane. It varies in value depending on the location on Earth, and ranges from 0 degrees at the magnetic equator to 90 degrees at the magnetic poles.

2. How does the dip angle affect navigation?

The dip angle is an important parameter for navigation, particularly for compass use. In the northern hemisphere, the dip angle can help determine the direction of true north, while in the southern hemisphere, it can help determine the direction of true south.

3. What causes the dip angle to change?

The Earth's magnetic field is not static and undergoes constant changes. The dip angle can change due to fluctuations in the strength and direction of the magnetic field, as well as movements of the Earth's molten iron core.

4. How does latitude affect the dip angle?

The dip angle is closely related to latitude. As you move closer to the magnetic poles, the dip angle increases, while it decreases as you move towards the magnetic equator. This is because the magnetic field lines are more perpendicular to the Earth's surface near the poles and more parallel near the equator.

5. Can the dip angle be measured at any location on Earth?

Yes, the dip angle can be measured at any location on Earth using a dip circle or inclinometer. However, it is important to note that the accuracy of the measurement may vary depending on the location and surrounding magnetic disturbances.