Earth Science / Marine Biology

In summary, the best option for someone with an interest in the Earth and the ocean would be to study Marine Biology in college and specialize in Oceanography later on. Studying Marine Biology in Guelph would be a good idea. It is close to home and has research stations at the coast. However, it may be a money issue to relocate and the salary may not be as great as some other places.
MFrymus
I'm in search for a career that is 'earth' related. I also have interests in the ocean. So, my choices come down to;
Earth Sciences & Marine Biology / Oceanography.
Was looking for a career in the space industry, or renewable energy, but found most of it to be engineering based. And I don't think id like that.

1) If I take EARTH SCIENCE in my undergrad, can I take MARINE BIOLOGY / OCEANOGRAPHY for my Masters? - In the end, I would be working by studying the OCEAN, and its inhabitants.
--OR--
Would I be better off focusing my studies on MARINE BIOLOGY / OCEANOGRAPHY in my undergrad right away?

2) If Its fine to take EARTH SCIENCE as my undergrad, what is the best university within Southern Ontario?
(Unless there is a university elsewhere within Canada that is cheaper, and living is not more expensive either)

3) If I take MARINE BIOLOGY / OCEANOGRAPHY as my undergrad, is it a wise idea to study this in Guelph? (Doing it because its close to home). Or should I move away to the West coast or preferably East coast (Cheaper in the East)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't marine biology completely different from oceanography?

If you become a marine biologist, you first become a generalist in biology, then you specialize in marine biology.
Oceanography should be a specialization in Earth science. You study system earth, then specialize in the ocean.

In the end both degrees can lead to some of the same research positions, but also make you eligible for very different ones.
You will be trained to think very differently about the subject.

You mention renewables. If you take a degree like marine biology with the ideals to protect the marine ecosystem, you have to be aware that if you don't cut it in academics, the only jobs available to you may be working for fisheries to figure out exactly how to catch the most fish.

Also, I don't know anything about Guelph, but it makes sense to me to study an ocean subject in a coastal city. Maybe Guelph has research stations at the coast, I don't know.

I would like to work with the marine species and mammals.
So, yes. I believe its more Maine Biology than Oceanography.

Guelph is a choice as its close to home. I would definitely like to move to the East especially since its on the Ocean.
But, its a money issue. I would have to see tuition price difference, and living cost differences.

Is this a hard job to find as a field worker? Very competitive?
I heard that pay can be fairly decent, starting from 50K+

What is Earth Science?

Earth Science is the study of the physical components and processes of the Earth, including its atmosphere, oceans, land, and living organisms. It encompasses a wide range of fields such as geology, meteorology, oceanography, and ecology.

What is Marine Biology?

Marine Biology is a branch of biology that focuses on the study of living organisms in the ocean and other saltwater environments. It involves the study of marine plants, animals, and microorganisms, as well as their interactions with each other and their environment.

Why is Earth Science important?

Earth Science is important because it helps us understand the world we live in and the processes that shape it. It provides valuable information about natural hazards such as earthquakes and hurricanes, and helps us manage and protect our resources, including water, minerals, and energy sources.

How does Marine Biology contribute to our understanding of the ocean?

Marine Biology contributes to our understanding of the ocean by studying the diverse and complex ecosystems within it. This includes identifying and monitoring species, studying their behavior and interactions, and researching the impact of human activities on marine life and their environment.

What are some current challenges facing Earth Science and Marine Biology?

Some current challenges facing Earth Science and Marine Biology include climate change, ocean pollution, and overfishing. These issues have significant impacts on the health of our planet and its inhabitants, and scientists continue to research and develop solutions to address them.