1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Earth spin measuring device

Tags:
  1. Aug 10, 2016 #1
    Hi

is there any device or experiment, which could measure earth spin vector and magnitude, centrifugal/centripetal forces, so i could derive from it, where is west and east , whats the vector of earth rotation and whats my lattitude.

Im assuming these forces and effects has to be measurable with todays technology.

the device will be stationary, non moving( car, aeroplane), without external referencing, celestial objects,etc...

spin.jpg

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2016 #2

Tom.G

Science Advisor

Gyroscope.

4. Aug 10, 2016 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Trouble with a gyroscope is it needs to be set up and aligned, so i dont think it can measure the eart's rotation axis.

My choice would be a sextant, measuring the elevation of Polaris (and with more complex calcs, you can get closer than a half degree).

For the period....a clock is all you need, and a view of the horizon.

For forces, that is a lot tougher since gravity and the rotational forces overlap. I'm not sure there is a way to distinguish them in measurements(unless you own a satellite); only in calculations.

5. Aug 10, 2016 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Pendulum?

6. Aug 10, 2016 #5

i tried with precision gyroscope, did not work,did not move, i guess too much internal friction in joints

7. Aug 10, 2016 #6
    I meant device without referencing celestial objects, just blindly measuring forces and vectors ( inside the box)

gravity and the rotational forces overlap, thats true but on poles rotational forces should be zero and at equator should be max, so has to be measurable difference there, from which lattitude could be derived

8. Aug 10, 2016 #7

russ_watters

A gyroscope measures what happens when you move.
    Other than a pendulum to measure the rotation rate, I don't think what you are after can be done.
    That would only be true if the gravitational component of the force were constant, which it isn't.

9. Aug 10, 2016 #8
    yes groscope disk should change angle relative to base, since gyroscope base is moving with earth, but no angle change for me

gyr.gif

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  10. Aug 10, 2016 #9

russ_watters

How far did you move?

11. Aug 10, 2016 #10
    once spun to max revolutions, it took 27 minutes for the disk to stop, i know it needs high rpm all the time, but should move at least few degrees

7.5 degress in 30 minutes, if all was by the book

12. Aug 10, 2016 #11

russ_watters

What direction was the axis pointed?

13. Aug 10, 2016 #12
    of course i tried all possible angles and orientations, nothing happend

14. Aug 10, 2016 #13

Dale

You can use a Foucault pendulum to measure your latitude.

A ring laser interferometer will be more reliable than a gyroscope, particularly since it sounds like your gimbal has sticky bearings.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted