Earth stops moving how long before it hits the sun?

In summary, Newton's formula for the period of a body in an elliptical orbit depends upon the orbit parameter(s) of the orbit. For an elliptical orbit with a temporarily "stationary" Earth at the aphelion point, integrating an acceleration that depends upon distance yields the time it would take for the Earth to fall to the Sun.
blue.flake

Homework Statement

So, if the Earth stopped moving(supposing Earth's orbit is a circle) how much time would it have to pass before it hit the Sun?

Homework Equations

I've tried with Kepler, and Newton's derivations of Kepler's 3th law

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I'm pretty sure you need to get 64.56 days, but I'm having a few difficulties with the process of getting there.

Also, I'm in a bit of a rush. So if anyone can help I'll be forever in your debt.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint:

You know Newton's formula for the period of a body in an elliptical orbit? What parameter(s) of the orbit does that formula depend upon?

Well my biggest problem is I get to a point where I have T= √4Π ⋅ (r/2)3 / G ⋅ Ms

and then it seems I should divide T with two, which I don't understand why. Also in this step i don't understand why it's r/2 and not r

what

Have you tried N2L?

If the Earth stops then (classically) it's at rest. Why are you using orbital periods? Maybe I"m misunderstanding the question.

Write out your math from the start. What's the basic formula for the period? (You can use μ = G*Msun).

What orbit parameter goes into the period formula? Hint: for circular orbits it happens to be the same as the orbit radius.

You want half the period because when you "drop" the Earth into the Sun you're only interested in the time for it to reach the Sun, not the time for it to reach the Sun and return to its starting place, which would be a full period of the degenerate orbit.

Well honestly I'm completely lost, and at this point totally desperate. I'm really not sure what to do. This is how I done it, but I'm not even sure it's the right way to go

Attachments

• 1..jpg
    1..jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 430
  • 2..jpg
    2..jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 413
BiGyElLoWhAt said:
what

Have you tried N2L?

If the Earth stops then (classically) it's at rest. Why are you using orbital periods? Maybe I"m misunderstanding the question.
Integrating an acceleration that depends upon distance in order to solve for time is much more work than using orbit equations in a creative way :)

Is my way the right creative way? :D

Newton's version of Kepler's 3rd for elliptical orbits is:
$$T = \frac{2 \pi}{\sqrt{\mu}} a^{\left(3/2\right)}$$
where a is the length of the semi-major axis of the ellipse. Note that the semi-minor axis size is not involved, and that for a circular orbit a is the same as the orbit radius.

Sketch your "degenerate" orbit that's equivalent to the Earth plunging straight into the Sun. Effectively the semi-minor axis shrinks down to negligible width, while the perihelion distance becomes indistinguishable from the Sun's center.

Be sure to indicate the semi-major axis on your diagram!

so a =r? but then I did it right or?

blue.flake said:
so a =r? but then I did it right or?
Can we see your sketch?

It's probably not complete.

Attachments

• 10846705_817503974973327_1839200853_n.jpg
    10846705_817503974973327_1839200853_n.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 412
Okay, that's incomplete as you say. What you want to do is consider an elliptical orbit where the temporarily "stationary" Earth is at the aphelion point. As the minor axis of the orbit is shrunk down to negligible size, the perihelion distance pulls closer to the Sun's center.

Fig1.gif

Note that the major axis of the orbit is 2a, where a is called the semi-major axis (half the major axis). For your "degenerate" orbit the whole major axis is the same size as the original orbit radius of the circular orbit.

So, what is the value of "a" for your problem?

ooooh it's r/2 or 1,496*10^11 m divided by 2

blue.flake said:
ooooh it's r/2 or 1,496*10^11 m divided by 2
Right. So that explains why you need to use r/2 in the period formula. Can you also see why you want half the period of the resulting orbit?

Yes because it only falls to the Sun, it doesn't go back. :D

blue.flake said:
Yes because it only falls to the Sun, it doesn't go back. :D

Correct :approve:

That's pretty clever gneill, and also not how I would have approached that at all. =D

1. How long would it take for the Earth to reach the Sun if it suddenly stopped moving?

If the Earth suddenly stopped moving, it would take approximately 8 minutes and 20 seconds for the Earth to reach the Sun. This is because the Earth's distance from the Sun is about 93 million miles and light from the Sun takes about 8 minutes and 20 seconds to reach the Earth.

2. What would happen to the Earth if it stopped moving and fell into the Sun?

If the Earth suddenly stopped moving and fell into the Sun, it would be completely destroyed. The intense heat and pressure of the Sun's atmosphere would break apart the Earth and vaporize it.

3. Is it possible for the Earth to suddenly stop moving and fall into the Sun?

No, it is not possible for the Earth to suddenly stop moving and fall into the Sun. The Earth's orbit around the Sun is maintained by its velocity and the force of gravity between the two bodies. Additionally, the Earth's rotation on its axis also contributes to its motion around the Sun.

4. How long does it take for the Earth to complete one orbit around the Sun?

The Earth takes approximately 365.24 days, or one year, to complete one orbit around the Sun. This is known as the Earth's orbital period.

5. Would the Earth's rotation also stop if it stopped moving around the Sun?

Yes, if the Earth suddenly stopped moving around the Sun, its rotation on its axis would also stop. This is because the Earth's rotation is tied to its orbital motion around the Sun. Without the force of gravity from the Sun, the Earth would no longer have a stable orbit and would cease to rotate.