How Does Doubling Earth's Orbital Radius Affect Its Surface Temperature?

In summary, Stefan's law states that the power transmitted by the sun to the earth decreases as the Earth is moved away from the sun. This will affect the Earth's thermal equilibrium, and it will start cooling to the power equal to what the sun is transmitting.
chris_0101

Homework Statement

Let us assume that the earth, whose mean surface temperature may be taken to be
280 K, is in thermal equilibrium and radiates energy into space at the same rate that it
receives energy from the sun. If the Earth were moved to an orbit of twice its present
radius, what would be its expected mean surface temperature?

T = 280K
T' = ?

Homework Equations

T' = T (?)
The ? indicates that I have to multiply T by something, but I do not know where to start so I was hoping to have some help on where to start​

The Attempt at a Solution

Don't know how to start this question, if someone could help, that would be great. I do know the answer however and it is 198K.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmmm, have you heard of stefan's law?

Yes, I have heard of Stefan's law, which is:

I = (5.670*10^-8)(T^4)​

So if I were to plug the value of temperature into the equation, I is equal to:

I = 348.5099Wm^-2

Even though I have intensity, I still don't know what to do.

Firstly, what is the relationship between power, intensity and distance?

Stefan's law gives you power by the way.

Also, there can only be thermal equilibrium when power emitted equal to power absorbed. If you know the power emitted to that point can you then find the temperature?

The relationship between power, intensity and distance is:
I = P/(r^2)

yet, I still do not know what to do.

Understand that as you move further away, the power transmitted by the sun to that point decrease.

This thus will affect your thermal equilibrium, since Earth is radiating more power than the sun is transmitting.

So it follows that the Earth will start cooling to the power equal to what the sun is transmitting at the new distance.

Now, all you have to do now is to translate all i have said into equation form. You do not need to know the area, emissivity or stefan boltzman's constant to do this by the way.

delzac

1. What is the average temperature of the Earth's surface?

The average temperature of the Earth's surface is approximately 15 degrees Celsius (59 degrees Fahrenheit). This value is constantly changing due to natural variations and human activities, but it serves as a baseline for measuring shifts in temperature over time.

2. How is the Earth's surface temperature measured?

The Earth's surface temperature is measured using a variety of methods, including ground-based weather stations, satellites, ocean buoys, and remote sensing technologies. These measurements are then combined and analyzed to create a global temperature record.

3. What factors influence the Earth's surface temperature?

The Earth's surface temperature is influenced by a variety of factors, including solar radiation, greenhouse gases, land use changes, and natural climate cycles. Human activities, such as burning fossil fuels and deforestation, have also had a significant impact on the Earth's surface temperature in recent years.

4. How has the Earth's surface temperature changed over time?

Over the past century, the Earth's surface temperature has increased by about 1 degree Celsius (1.8 degrees Fahrenheit), with the majority of this warming occurring in the past few decades. This is a significant change, as even small shifts in temperature can have a big impact on global weather patterns and ecosystems.

5. What are the potential consequences of rising Earth surface temperatures?

Rising Earth surface temperatures can have a variety of consequences, including more frequent and severe heat waves, droughts, and wildfires, as well as melting glaciers and sea ice, rising sea levels, and changes in precipitation patterns. These changes can have a significant impact on human health, agriculture, and ecosystems, and it is important to take action to mitigate further temperature increases.