1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Earth Temperature

1. May 6, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate the temperature of the Earth assuming that the Sun and the Earth are black bodies. Assume that Earth is in a steady state as far as energy balance is concerned

2. Relevant equations
    ##\frac{E}{St} = \sigma T^4## - Stefan-Boltzman law

3. The attempt at a solution
    The power radiated by sun is ##P=\sigma T_{sun}^4 S_{sun} = \sigma T_{sun}^4 4\pi R_{sun}^2##. The amount of this received by earth is proportional to: ##\frac{\pi R_{earth}^2}{4 \pi R_{sun-earth}^2}##, with ##R_{sun-earth}## being the distance from sun to earth. The power radiated by Earth is ##\sigma T_{earth}^4 4\pi R_{earth}##. As the earth is in a steady state we have in the end: ##\sigma T_{sun}^4 4\pi R_{sun}^2 \frac{\pi R_{earth}^2}{4 \pi R_{sun-earth}^2} = \sigma T_{earht}^4 4\pi R_{earth}^2## and from here we can get the temperature of the earth, as all the other constants are considered to be known. Is this correct? I obtained a numerical value of about 900K. I am aware that here we ignore the shielding of the atmosphere, the albedo and other effects that would influence the temperature, but it still seems to be pretty high.

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2017 #2

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor

You've made an error here. The radius should be squared.
    Correcting that will net you a factor of ~1/9, so if you've got 900K out of the equation, there has to be some other issue elsewhere. You should get a bit below 300K. The equation is otherwise sound, so it has to be either a number crunching error, or bad constants. Check those first.

4. May 6, 2017 #3
    Hey, sorry I have squared there on paper I just mistyped it here. Ok, I will check the numbers again. Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted