Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Earth tilts only a few degrees and the weather changes

1. Nov 24, 2003 #1
    I find it interesting how the Earth tilts only a few degrees and the weather changes so dramatically. Question: How far fetched would it be to think that the Earths weather system remains a stationary shell and the Earth simply rotates underneath it. To put it another way, the weather "shell" remains the same in relation to the Sun.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2003 #2
    I guess you are ready to elaborate a lot on that.

Are you refering to the Brown - Hapgood - White - Velikovski poleshifts?

Please continue, I won't shoot.
  4. Nov 24, 2003 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Weather

It's not hard to disprove this. Watch a storm move.

Furthermore, if the weather shell were to stay fixed with respect to the Sun while the Earth rotated beneath it, I'd expect 1,000 mph winds.

- Warren
  5. Nov 24, 2003 #4
    I think, Warren, that E6S is refering to a very slow process, where the Earth surface wanders around in a couple of thousends of years, while the climate areas stay put, tied to the lattitude. So that would mean that tropical rain forests, deserts, moderate climates and arctic climates seem to wander around while actually it is the Earth surface that wanders.

Am I right? E6S
  6. Nov 24, 2003 #5
    You are waaaaay ahead of me. I was just supposing that the Earths 'weather shell' would remain on the same tilt but still rotate like normal. The only exception being that the Earth would continue its seasonal tilting. Sorry if I misspoke.

I'll google those names and learn more, thanks.
  7. Nov 24, 2003 #6
    You're welcome. :smile:

Please, Tell us what you think.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?