1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Earth vs Moon

1. Feb 2, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Would the horizontal distance traveled by a projectile on earth be the same as one on the moon? I feel like the distances would be different, but when I was calculating the initial velocity of the projectile on the moon I used the same x value(distance) that I did for earth. Wouldn't gravity have an affect on the distance traveled?

2. Relevant equations

Vxoearth=x√(g/2y)
    Vxomoon=x√((1/6)g/2y)

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2014 #2

Nugso

Gold Member

It would. Gravity affects the maximum height that an object can go, hence it affects time as well, and time affects the horizontal displacement. Can you please show your calculations?

4. Feb 2, 2014 #3
    Height: y=14.1cm=0.141 m
    Distance: x=31.3 cm= 0.313 m

Vxoearth=(0.313)*√(9.8/2*0.141)=0.19 m/s

Vxomoon=(0.313)*√(1/6*9.8/2*0.141)= 0.745 m/s

But what's confusing me is the way they worded the question. They told me to use my x measurement and y height from the experiment when calculating the initial velocity for the moon. Then they ask if the x values measured on the moon would be the same as the x values measured on earth. Why would they tell me to use the same x value if they would be different?

5. Feb 2, 2014 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

As always, please follow the HW template when posting to these forums. We can't judge the wording of the problem if you don't provide it verbatim.

6. Feb 2, 2014 #5
    Sorry, I'm still kind of new to this forum. But I think I figured out what the question meant. Thanks for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted