Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Earthquake hits England

1. Feb 27, 2008 #1

matthyaouw

Gold Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7266136.stm

Wow, that was about 30 miles from my house. No damage, but certainly a shock to wake up to. Did anyone else feel it?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2008 #2
    Wow i felt it to, in Nottingham at around one o'clock in the morning it last for around 20-30 seconds. I woke up to severe shaking. I wonder were the earthquake happened or the tectonic plates just moved a couple of cm.

4. Feb 27, 2008 #3
    I felt one a couple of years ago it wasn't as strong but it was the same time (1 o'clock in the morning) and it lasted around 25 seconds and it also struck the same area's.

5. Feb 27, 2008 #4

Wow, i felt it to but in Nottingham at around one o'clock in the morning it last for around 20-30 seconds. :zzz:I woke up to severe shaking. I wonder where the earthquake happened or the tectonic plates just moved a couple of cm. Scary!

6. Feb 27, 2008 #5

matthyaouw

Gold Member

7. Feb 27, 2008 #6

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm in Newcastle and I was awake at 1am and I felt nothing. I live on a hill though, but I don't think that should make any difference.

8. Feb 27, 2008 #7
    First of all, I felt nothing where I live in Central London.

Secondly however, there has been a lot of discussion in the workplace here about who felt what and where, and my preliminary understanding is that some of the results are very worrying for the housing market.

9. Feb 27, 2008 #8

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I was still awake at 1am last night and felt something. At first I thought I was going a little crazy since it just felt like the bed and the wall were shaking for a few seconds. It was only when I caught the news today that I realised what I had felt was an earthquake!

10. Feb 27, 2008 #9

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Geez, a 4.7. Big deal.

- Warren

11. Feb 27, 2008 #10

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: thats huge over here.

12. Feb 28, 2008 #11

matthyaouw

Gold Member

It's been a slow news decade you see...

13. Feb 28, 2008 #12

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

london - vertical ripple in the wall

I was leaning against my bedroom wall (an internal wall, probably plasterboard) in North London, and I felt a vertical ripple move along the wall from North to South.

Also, the dressing-table mirror shook, for some time.

At the time, I thought it was caused by one of the mile-long heavy freight trains that sometimes shake the house.

14. Feb 29, 2008 #13

fuzzyfelt

Gold Member

15. Feb 29, 2008 #14

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Saw that yesterday- it made me laugh more than it should :biggrin:

16. Feb 29, 2008 #15
    Never having mastered the Etch-a-Skech myself, I find this to be a horrible effect of the quake!

17. Feb 29, 2008 #16
    For the next earthquake, if you pay atention to the sounds and the movement you may be able to detect the direction of the epicentre, the source of the waves.

18. Mar 4, 2008 #17
    You wouldn't have felt it in central london, it didn't happen there.

19. Mar 4, 2008 #18

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

People were reporting the tremors for miles around including London.

20. Apr 17, 2008 #19
    I felt it around 1:00 am

21. May 23, 2008 #20
    I was in London during that time and haven't felt it. The next day, we went to the epicenter in Market Rasen and nearby area Gainsborough to do some damage assessment survey. Interestingly, more damage is seen such as toppled chimneys in Gainsborough several kilometers away from epicenter market Rasen.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?