Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Earthquake in Illinois

1. Apr 18, 2008 #1
    Earthquake!! in Illinois!!

Earthquake rattles Tri-State

http://www.courierpress.com/news/2008/apr/18/earthquake-rattles-tri-state/

I woke up to a noise--looked at the clock 4:35--like the wind rattling the window--but it was one of the paintings on the wall rattling against the wall.
    -----I thought--oh--tremor---about 20 secs later the whole house shook---

EARTHWAKE!!!

----it felt like the house moved up and down about 1/4 to 1/2 inch. To me it lasted about 5 seconds on the main 'one'. But the 'rattling' kept up for another 3 minutes.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2008 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

That was a pretty good one for the central US.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsus/Maps/US2/38.40.-89.-87.php

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/eqinthenews/2008/us2008qza6/

5.2 Mag (revised down from 5.4 Mag)
    Friday, April 18, 2008 at 09:36:56 UTC
    Friday, April 18, 2008 at 04:36:56 AM at epicenter

Depth: 11.6 km (7.2 miles) - (revised from 5 km (3.1 miles)) set by location program (qhite shallow)
    Region ILLINOIS

Distances:
    12 km (7 miles) E (90°) from West Salem, IL
    13 km (8 miles) NE (53°) from Bone Gap, IL
    14 km (9 miles) W (266°) from Allendale, IL
    36 km (22 miles) WSW (241°) from Vincennes, IN
    67 km (41 miles) NNW (335°) from Evansville, IN
    206 km (128 miles) E (93°) from St. Louis, MO

Source Center for Earthquake Research and Information, Memphis, Tennessee, USA

Last edited: Apr 25, 2008
  4. Apr 18, 2008 #3
    I'm about 60 miles away. I lived in California for 7 years from the mid 50's to the early 60's--young at the time---I can't remember one this big when I lived there---

The epicenter from the USGS puts it about 120 miles away from me----I trust the USGS over that first newspaper report

Last edited: Apr 18, 2008
  5. Apr 18, 2008 #4
    Thats always a creepy feeling, glad no one was hurt.

6. Apr 18, 2008 #5
    Being in England, we don't get many earthquakes over here, but we had one a couple of months ago.

February Earthquake

It was really surreal. I was listening to music at the time, and managed to convince myself it was my bopping my leg against the desk. Then, when it got stronger, I took my headphone off, and couldn't work out what it was. Again, I managed to convince myself that maybe something in my housemate's room had fallen over, or something. I didn't realise it was an earthquake until the next day when my friends were all talking about it! :blushing: :rofl:

7. Apr 18, 2008 #6
    I've survived quite a few in Japan, even killers. I worked in a steel frame building with corrugated sheet metal walls and roof. When a quake would come, the building would shake and rattle. But it would never roll. Everybody ran for the pillars and doorways though.

8. Apr 18, 2008 #7
    There are some scattered reports of gas leaks, things falling off shelving, and some building damage--the main one they show is the one building in Louisville that had some bricks fall.

9. Apr 18, 2008 #8

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow! Glad to hear there isn't too much damage.

We had a pretty big one a here in western Washington State a few years back. I was at the vet at the time, in a little examination room. I scooped up my cat and went towards the door to get out of the building...but I soon realized there was no way I could open the door. There were FREAKED-OUT CATS RUNNING EVERYWHERE!!!! (The clinic is cats only!)

My kitty was terrified, clawed me pretty good around my neck.

10. Apr 18, 2008 #9
    I looked around and found this:

"5.0 is equal to 32 kilotons which is similar to the nuke that was dropped on Nagasaki."

http://paddymac.wordpress.com/2008/02/27/a-whole-lot-of-shakin-going-on/

"A 6.0 earthquake is equivalent to 1 megaton of TNT."

so, (I'm guessing a little here) that the earthquake that just happened had the 'equivalent' of, maybe, the energy of both atomic bombs that were dropped--my, my, my

I thought it could have been the in 'New Madrid' area when it was happening.

11. Apr 18, 2008 #10
    We just had an aftershock about two minutes ago---guess it was a 2. something if I guessed compared to the other one

from the USGS it looks like a 4.something:

[​IMG]

it knocked my power out for a second

The 'new' red block covered over 5 or 6 smaller quakes -aftershocks--that I didn't feel after that first one

12. Apr 18, 2008 #11

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Glad it wasn't worse Rew! I have never been in an earthquake, not keen about being in one either.

13. Apr 18, 2008 #12
    Magnitude 4 aftershocks occurred at 10:15 AM central time, didn't feel a thing.

I remember one time many years ago I was reading quietly then suddenly my glass of water, and the computer monitor started vibrating. I didn't think nothing of it until I checked the news later during the day. It was reported a strong earthquake hit Turkey halfway across the world. The shockwave must have been reflected to my location. It was weird.

14. Apr 18, 2008 #13
    Hey, I felt that one too! I was working at my first physics job in the basement of an aging university building where the ceiling was solid brick. I was working at the computer when my monitor suddenly started doing the hula. I swiveled around in my chair and the professor at the table behind me put his hands out on the bench. "Hey, I think this is an earthquake!!!" The motion was like sitting on a floating dock. I looked up at the ceiling and then down at the rickety table that my computer was on and decided I was probably wasting my time if I crawled under it. I decided I'd had a pretty good life.

Another guy in my lab had been working on a "floating table" - it suddenly started bucking up and down and he really freaked out. The other people who were standing didn't even notice the motion though. And professors lecturing in classes didn't notice either - until their students (who were sitting down) started getting twitchy.

I also felt the aftershock of the 2006 earthquake on the big island in Hawaii. The door started rattling in a funny way and a bunch of the neighbour's car alarms went off.

15. Apr 18, 2008 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: That's a good term for one at that hour of the morning. Nobody has commented on feeling anything this far out from it, but I've slept through tremors that woke up everyone else in the house before. I'd have probably just blamed it on the cat for jumping on the bed if I felt anything shaking at that hour. :rolleyes:

16. Apr 18, 2008 #15

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's about my experience. In Ohio, a very small one where I happened to be swimming at the time. I eventually came out of the water, heard everyone talking about 'the earthquake', and wondered what the heck they were talking about (I initially thought a major earthquake must have hit California for everyone to be talking about it). In California, I slept through another very small earthquake, so had no idea what people were talking about the next morning.

17. Apr 18, 2008 #16

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've lived up and down the west coast all my life, so I've felt several quakes.

By far the weirdest one was when I worked on a fish processing ship in the Aluetian Chain, in Alaska. The ship jumped vertically with a sudden, violent "POP!" It must have jumped a couple of centimeters.

At the time, we were anchored in a shallow bay. At the time I didn't know earthquake waves could travel through water (I've since learned that the P-waves do, but not the S-waves).

I was really worried...I asked if we should we be checking the rivets, or checking for cracks in the hull. An old guy who'd been at sea for, well, forever, assured me no, ships get hit by earthquakes all the time up here, it's no big deal.

It was very strange.

18. Apr 18, 2008 #17
    [​IMG] the last seven days --

it'd be hard to not be around them up there in AK--no wonder he said that, lisab

19. Apr 18, 2008 #18
    [​IMG]

hmmm--even two up in Maine

20. Apr 18, 2008 #19

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow, that's a great graphic! Yep, Alaskans get shook up on a regular basis.

21. Apr 18, 2008 #20

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I heard recently that Alaska actually has several earthquakes a day! They get 1/10 of the world's seismic activity there. You just don't hear much about it because so much of the state is unpopulated or sparsely populated that it hardly ever damages anything worth reporting (and I guess they get so many that it isn't really news to them).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?