Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Earthquake suppression

1. Apr 17, 2013 #1
    I dont know that this completely fits in the mech. eng. category but I figure this crowd would know as well as anyone.

so I like to spend my free time thinking about these kinds of things. Im always trying to come up with innovative solutions to problems.

here goes, I have seen the various earthquake suppresion technologies that have sprouted up over the years like the stilt type things that work something like a Kugel ball. But I thought of something that might work in a similar way; A series of vertically and horizontally mounted Watt linkages. Any thoughts on how this might work out?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2013 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

You would have to investigate an earthshake table that simulates earthquakes and see what modes occur and how watt linkage might apply. Right now I can't see how it might help.

4. Apr 17, 2013 #3

berkeman

Are you anywhere near UC Berkeley? They have a large shaker table room that would let you do some practical research on your idea...

5. Apr 17, 2013 #4
    unfortunately, I am no where near any facilities that I know of that may assist. I live in Oklahoma City, so my options are pretty limited haha. I wasnt even sure if the idea would be practical, it was just a thought.

6. Apr 18, 2013 #5

berkeman

You could probably make your own small shaker table, and use human power do move it. You should research a bit on the various ground motions that occur (not so much the initial P-wave, but the more destructive S-waves), and see if you can imitate them with your table. Then build up some prototype mechanisms to see how they fair on the table...

I see some YouTube posts in your future.... :smile:

7. Apr 18, 2013 #6
    I'll check into it! thanks for the help!

by the way, love your sig! Been into HAM for a long time. I took the test once when I was younger but missed it by one question about the stinkin band plan. We didnt really have any VECs any our area to administer tests, so it was an ordeal to make it out there to take it. 5 years, a wife and kid, full time job, and full time school later, I've never had time to take it again. Still studying, though. One of these days!
    It's always exciting to see a fellow enthusiast. We're a dying breed!

8. Apr 18, 2013 #7

berkeman

Actually the HAM ranks are swelling after the FCC eliminated the Morse Code requirement:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=684732

Let me know if you'd like some help passing the technician exam :smile:

9. Apr 19, 2013 #8
    maybe its just my take on it, then. I very rarely meet someone thats into it. Although that could just be because I tend to converse with people my age, and theres not a lot of 21 year olds participating in radio, they tend to have other interests haha.

I have no doubt I'd be able to pass the exam if I took it right now. I just rarely have the time to go to a testing facility. But I appreciate the offer!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook