Earthrace: Challenging the World Record with Renewable Bio-Fuel Powerboat

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, Earthrace is a biofuel powered boat project set to tackle a world navigation and challenge the existing record held by the British boat Cable & Wireless Adventurer. The boat is to be fuelled with 100% biodiesel, a fuel made from renewable sources such as canola and rape and will attempt to set the world record for circumnavigating the globe, to prove to the world that renewable fuels are synonymous with power and performance. Seattle is one of the Earthrace's stops on a five-month promotional tour that includes the West and East coasts. At the various stops, he and the four crew members stay with volunteers who have heard about the boat. For $5, today and Sunday from 10 a.m. until 6 p
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Earthrace is a New Zealand-based bio-fuel powerboat project set to tackle a world navigation and challenge the existing record held by the British boat Cable & Wireless Adventurer.

The boat is to be fuelled with 100% biodiesel, a fuel made from renewable sources such as canola and rape and will attempt to set the world record for circumnavigating the globe, to prove to the world that renewable fuels are synonymous with power and performance. [continued]
http://www.solarnavigator.net/earthrace.htm

eaarthrace_aukland_marina_show.jpg

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
... Seattle is one of the Earthrace's stops on a five-month promotional tour that includes the West and East coasts.

At the various stops, he and the four crew members stay with volunteers who have heard about the boat. In various cities, biodiesel firms, such as Imperium Renewables of Seattle, donate the fuel.

For $5, today and Sunday from 10 a.m. until 6 p.m., visitors can board the Earthrace and hear from Bethune about his dream.

Regrets about the cost of it all?

"No," said Bethune. "You know, I do have the coolest boat in the world."
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2003176794_weirdboat05m.html

A little late for anyone in Seattle but it was in the news.

Last edited by a moderator:
a fuel made from renewable sources such as canola and rape and will attempt to set the world record for circumnavigating the globe, to prove to the world that renewable fuels are synonymous with power and performance.
I'm not prepared to support rape at all, even if it is good for the environment.

Yes, this is exactly the kind of publicity biofuels need - get a bunch of lazy millionares onto a yacht and send them on a joyride. This is obviously the perfect solution to all the world's energy problems - if everyone would commute to work in a $1,25 million boat, they could save two bucks a gallon in fuel costs, while reducing their CO2 emissions by 40%. Of course, the energy and materials going into a million dollars' worth of carbon fiber is trivial, don't worry about it!

This is true environmentalism for you.

Um, the point is to promote the technology. When these engines start setting records and winning LeMans, as one just did, diesel will be more readily accepted into the market as a viable alternative to gasoline power. Also, any industry is driven by money. Publicity gets money.

Biofuels are carbon neutral; or nearly so anyway.

Ivan Seeking said:
Um, the point is to promote the technology. When these engines start setting records and winning LeMans, as one just did, diesel will be more readily accepted into the market as a viable alternative to gasoline power.
What does diesel have to do with anything?

Also, any industry is driven by money. Publicity gets money.
A viable infrastructure for biofuels, with market-ready consumer vehicles, would be much better publicity. This makes about as much sense as GWB rolling around in a hydrogen-powered golf cart, when there's next to zero H infrastructure. Doesn't really sell anything, when there's nothing to sell.

Biofuels are carbon neutral; or nearly so anyway.
I love biofuels. It's these crazy stunts which annoy me.

Rach3 said:
I love biofuels. It's these crazy stunts which annoy me.
But you need the crazy stunts to get the attention of Average Joe Schmuck.

He is running a diesel engine on biodiesel. Both lack market acceptance in the US. Honda is hitting the US market with a diesel hybrid this year, and biodiesel is quickly coming of age, but many people are still fairly clueless.

I think I understand what frustrates you in that this is a publicity stunt, but I also think that publicity has its place and is necessary [valuable to the effort]. Races and record setting have always played a key role in the evolution of new engine technolgies.

Last edited:
When a diesel recently won a leg of LeMans, the guy who told me said that he could barely quit laughing. It is a perception issue.
http://www.dieselforecast.com/

A kindred project

PITTSBURGH--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Alcoa (NYSE:AA) announced today that it has been working with Jay Leno’s Big Dog Garage and General Motors Advanced Design to provide structural engineering expertise, spaceframe technology and high-performance forged aluminum wheels for Mr. Leno’s EcoJet, introduced this week at SEMA in Las Vegas.

“Mr. Leno approached Alcoa as a result of the collaboration between GM and Alcoa on the Cadillac Sixteen,” according to Misha Riveros-Jacobson, President of Alcoa Auto and Truck Structures. “We eagerly accepted the opportunity to work with Big Dog Garage and GM Advanced Design on the EcoJet because their goal of developing an absolutely stunning vehicle powered by biofuel, but yet extremely high-performance, played right to Alcoa’s area of automotive expertise.”

Engineers from the Alcoa Technical Center worked with GM’s Advanced Design staff and Big Dog Garage to provide structural engineering, and joining and assembly resources for the EcoJet from design through construction. [continued with video]
http://www.alcoa.com/global/en/news/news_detail.asp?pageID=20061031005605en&newsYear=2006

A biodiesel powered jet car? That is the way to a young man's heart! :biggrin:

Wow, that's one cool looking boat! I wonder if there's room on the river for it here. :biggrin: Maybe when it hits the east coast, I'll have to take a drive out to see it (hopefully it'll head into Baltimore as one of it's stops, since that's closest for me).

Edit: Darn! I just looked at the planned route, and he isn't even coming up the East coast at all. :mad:

Last edited:
http://wazza.nfscity.com/earth/02.jpg

Thats not a boat, its a fighter jet.

Rach3 said:
Yes, this is exactly the kind of publicity biofuels need - get a bunch of lazy millionares onto a yacht and send them on a joyride. This is obviously the perfect solution to all the world's energy problems - if everyone would commute to work in a $1,25 million boat, they could save two bucks a gallon in fuel costs, while reducing their CO2 emissions by 40%. Of course, the energy and materials going into a million dollars' worth of carbon fiber is trivial, don't worry about it!

This is true environmentalism for you.
Yeah, but I got to give him one thing: he is right that he has the coolest boat in the world.

Ivan Seeking said:
He is running a diesel engine on biodiesel. Both lack market acceptance in the US.
One little catch, though: the vast majority of marine engines are diesel. So whether or not they are accepted in cars isn't all that relevant - he isn't driving a car and the only thing he's doing that is unusual is using diesel from a different source than other boaters.

Regardless, promoting diesel itself is not his goal. His goal is simply promoting biodiesel.

cyrusabdollahi said:
Thats not a boat, its a fighter jet.

:rofl: I don't care! I'd still love to see the inside of it! I was really hoping he'd travel up the East Coast with it...I'm sure several PFers would have enjoyed a gathering to see that boat!

Oooh! What I would give to pilot that baby!

Gokul43201 said:
Oooh! What I would give to pilot that baby!

I didn't even consider that would ever be an option, but who knows, maybe if I offer to hang around on deck in a bikini with Bethune, he'd agree to let you pilot the boat for a bit (though, we probably aren't allowed to tell his wife who's at home trying to pay the bills for the thing :uhh:). I'd be happy to just get a ride on that boat!

Is there a "ladies of pf" calendar in our future...?

russ_watters said:

What, you're not happy with the PF Nuns with Guns calendar? :biggrin:

russ_watters said:

Thongs, anyone?

russ_watters said:
One little catch, though: the vast majority of marine engines are diesel. So whether or not they are accepted in cars isn't all that relevant - he isn't driving a car and the only thing he's doing that is unusual is using diesel from a different source than other boaters.

Regardless, promoting diesel itself is not his goal. His goal is simply promoting biodiesel.

Still, the idea of a high performace diesel is uncommon in the public mind. When a diesel won a leg of the LeMans, it definitely shocked people.

Ivan Seeking said:
Still, the idea of a high performace diesel is uncommon in the public mind. When a diesel won a leg of the LeMans, it definitely shocked people.

Ethanol is used in some Funny Cars, and they go fast.

cyrusabdollahi said:
Ethanol is used in some Funny Cars, and they go fast.

Your point? I could interpret that a couple of ways.

Well, I guess it would make sense. It has more energy but less MPG than gasoline.

:rofl: I see, that does sound funny. :rofl:

A funny car is a type of race car.

http://www.speedzonemagazine.com/zones/alkyzone/04alkyzone/04febalky/Bunny-Nwk-02-094782.jpg

Runs on Ethanol.

Ivan Seeking said:

Sadly, the Earthrace craft was destroyed today in the Antarctic, in a collision with a Japanese whaling boat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWL82aLjRgM

The boat was acquired by the Sea Shepard Conservation Society and renamed the Ady Gil., last October.
http://www.seashepherd.org/news-and-media/news-091020-1.html

Ivan Seeking said:
Sadly, the Earthrace craft was destroyed today in the Antarctic, in a collision with a Japanese whaling boat.

The boat was acquired by the Sea Shepard Conservation Society and renamed the Ady Gil., last October.
http://www.seashepherd.org/news-and-media/news-091020-1.html

In a whole big ocean, two little boats collide by mistake. wtf? Why were the whalers shooting water at them? I am confused at the whole situation.

Last edited:

Greg Bernhardt said:
In a whole big ocean, two little boats collide by mistake. wtf? Why were the whalers shooting water at them? I am confused at the whole situation.

Presumably the boat was being used to interfere with the whaling ship.

Note that it had been purchased by a conservation society.

Ivan Seeking said:
Presumably the boat was being used to interfere with the whaling ship.

Note that it had been purchased by a conservation society.

If that is true, what a waste of money. Use a junk ship instead! geeez

Greg Bernhardt said:
If that is true, what a waste of money. Use a junk ship instead! geeez

The people on the Earthrace boat claim the other boat intentionally rammed them. But they were clearly very close to the whaling boat in the first place.

I wouldn't call the Sea Sheaperd Group conservationist, more like environmental extremists. They were trying to entangle the whalers props when they were run over.

Pulled post to add the one with a photo-

I hate to post late on this but. The Steve Irwin crew needs to get their head out of their bums. They are a hazard in the ocean and need to be put in jail. Normal sailors don't get barred from ports for being nice in international waters. What these people are doing is terrorism and needs to be treated as such. I don't support the Nishin crew harvesting so many whales, but being terrorists is not going to help anything.

Ivan Seeking said:
The people on the Earthrace boat claim the other boat intentionally rammed them. But they were clearly very close to the whaling boat in the first place.

seems like an obvious lie. they've got the small fast boat, the whalers have the big slow boat, and the protesters are getting close intentionally to interfere with the whaling.

Earthrace fans and viewers might check out this Earthrace eulogy page. It's got some history, photos, and a eulogy.

http://www.tongacharter.com/earthrace.htm

http://www.tongacharter.com/images/earthrace/Cork-night.jpg

If anybody has any special photos or stories feel free to send them into be posted.

Scott

yachtwork said:
Earthrace fans and viewers might check out this Earthrace eulogy page. It's got some history, photos, and a eulogy.

http://www.tongacharter.com/earthrace.htm

http://www.tongacharter.com/images/earthrace/Cork-night.jpg

If anybody has any special photos or stories feel free to send them into be posted.

Scott

Hello yachtwork, and welcome to PF. You will find quite a few Earthrace fans here. :biggrin: Normally we would be obligated to delete your post as spam, but given your unique role in this project and the quality of your website [I think "cool" was the word used], we are making an exception. I assume that you are the same Scott cited as the Earthrace 2007, chief engineer; author of the webpage?

That was one very cool boat. It was a heartbreaker to see it destroyed. Was there only one built? My first thought when I saw the news video was that this might have been a second boat having the same design, but no such luck. Are there any plans to build another?