Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Earthrace - [Destroyed today!]

1. Jun 13, 2006 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.solarnavigator.net/earthrace.htm

[​IMG]

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2006 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2003176794_weirdboat05m.html

A little late for anyone in Seattle but it was in the news.

4. Aug 7, 2006 #3

Mk

I'm not prepared to support rape at all, even if it is good for the environment.

5. Aug 7, 2006 #4
    Yes, this is exactly the kind of publicity biofuels need - get a bunch of lazy millionares onto a yacht and send them on a joyride. This is obviously the perfect solution to all the world's energy problems - if everyone would commute to work in a $1,25 million boat, they could save two bucks a gallon in fuel costs, while reducing their CO2 emissions by 40%. Of course, the energy and materials going into a million dollars' worth of carbon fiber is trivial, don't worry about it!

This is true environmentalism for you.

6. Aug 7, 2006 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Um, the point is to promote the technology. When these engines start setting records and winning LeMans, as one just did, diesel will be more readily accepted into the market as a viable alternative to gasoline power. Also, any industry is driven by money. Publicity gets money.

Biofuels are carbon neutral; or nearly so anyway.

7. Aug 7, 2006 #6
    What does diesel have to do with anything?

A viable infrastructure for biofuels, with market-ready consumer vehicles, would be much better publicity. This makes about as much sense as GWB rolling around in a hydrogen-powered golf cart, when there's next to zero H infrastructure. Doesn't really sell anything, when there's nothing to sell.

I love biofuels. It's these crazy stunts which annoy me.

8. Aug 7, 2006 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

But you need the crazy stunts to get the attention of Average Joe Schmuck.

9. Aug 7, 2006 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

He is running a diesel engine on biodiesel. Both lack market acceptance in the US. Honda is hitting the US market with a diesel hybrid this year, and biodiesel is quickly coming of age, but many people are still fairly clueless.

I think I understand what frustrates you in that this is a publicity stunt, but I also think that publicity has its place and is necessary [valuable to the effort]. Races and record setting have always played a key role in the evolution of new engine technolgies.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2006
  10. Aug 7, 2006 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When a diesel recently won a leg of LeMans, the guy who told me said that he could barely quit laughing. It is a perception issue.
    http://www.dieselforecast.com/

11. Nov 28, 2006 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A kindred project

http://www.alcoa.com/global/en/news/news_detail.asp?pageID=20061031005605en&newsYear=2006

A biodiesel powered jet car? That is the way to a young man's heart! :biggrin:

12. Nov 28, 2006 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow, that's one cool looking boat! I wonder if there's room on the river for it here. :biggrin: Maybe when it hits the east coast, I'll have to take a drive out to see it (hopefully it'll head into Baltimore as one of it's stops, since that's closest for me).

Edit: Darn! I just looked at the planned route, and he isn't even coming up the East coast at all. :mad:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2006
  13. Nov 28, 2006 #12
    [​IMG]

Thats not a boat, its a fighter jet.

14. Nov 28, 2006 #13

russ_watters

Yeah, but I gotta give him one thing: he is right that he has the coolest boat in the world.

15. Nov 28, 2006 #14

russ_watters

One little catch, though: the vast majority of marine engines are diesel. So whether or not they are accepted in cars isn't all that relevant - he isn't driving a car and the only thing he's doing that is unusual is using diesel from a different source than other boaters.

Regardless, promoting diesel itself is not his goal. His goal is simply promoting biodiesel.

16. Nov 28, 2006 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: I don't care! I'd still love to see the inside of it! I was really hoping he'd travel up the East Coast with it...I'm sure several PFers would have enjoyed a gathering to see that boat!

17. Nov 28, 2006 #16

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oooh! What I would give to pilot that baby!!!

18. Nov 29, 2006 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I didn't even consider that would ever be an option, but who knows, maybe if I offer to hang around on deck in a bikini with Bethune, he'd agree to let you pilot the boat for a bit (though, we probably aren't allowed to tell his wife who's at home trying to pay the bills for the thing :uhh:). I'd be happy to just get a ride on that boat!

19. Nov 29, 2006 #18

russ_watters

Is there a "ladies of pf" calendar in our future...?

20. Nov 29, 2006 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What, you're not happy with the PF Nuns with Guns calendar? :biggrin:

21. Nov 29, 2006 #20
    Thongs, anyone?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?