1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

? Earth's Gravitational Field Effect on space shuttles

1. Aug 29, 2005 #1
    ???? Earth's Gravitational Field Effect on space shuttles

Hi, i have a physics question in my physics portfolio, it goes as follows

Critically assess the following statement: ‘Astronauts in a space capsule orbiting the earth at a height of 900km experience weightlessness: hence the gravitational field due to the earth must be zero at that altitude'. Include calculations in your answer.

Can someone please help ?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2005 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Do you know the formula for the strength of earth's gravitational field?

[tex]F= \frac{GM}{r^2}[/tex]

Where G is the "universal gravitational constant", M is the mass of the earth, and r is the distance from the center of the earth (radius of the earth plus altitude). For what value of r is that 0?

Whe DO astronauts experience weightlessness? (What weight would you feel if you jumped off the edge of the Grand Canyon?)

4. Aug 29, 2005 #3
    thank you very much, your post made something click in my mind, i got it now. thanks

5. Aug 31, 2005 #4
    ok i thought i had it but i didnt, could u please prove that theory mathematically, i tried inputting the numbers but ended up with 610.24234......

6. Aug 31, 2005 #5
    Astronauts donot feel weightless because of earth's gravitational field =0 , infact the gravitational field due to earth is not zero by any means at a height of 900 km. Astronauts would feel weightless if their space-shuttles accelerated in such a way that it counterbalanced the earth's attraction.Astronauts could feelw eightless if they were under freefall in space , like in case of satellites orbiting earth, in this case earth's gravitational field helps in motion of satellite and is not zero.Earth's Gravitational field will be zero when r---> infinity.

BJ

7. Aug 31, 2005 #6
    how would i prove that mathematically ?

8. Aug 31, 2005 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'll try one more time- the question asked whether the force of gravity was 0.

[tex]F= \frac{GMm}{r^2}[/tex]

For what value of r is that 0?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?