? Earth's Gravitational Field Effect on space shuttles

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of weightlessness experienced by astronauts in space shuttles orbiting Earth at a height of 900km. The formula for the strength of Earth's gravitational field is mentioned and it is clarified that the gravitational field is not zero at that altitude. Astronauts experience weightlessness due to being under freefall in space, and the Earth's gravitational field only helps in their motion. The conversation also touches upon the idea of proving this mathematically.
samaank
? Earth's Gravitational Field Effect on space shuttles

Hi, i have a physics question in my physics portfolio, it goes as follows

Critically assess the following statement: ‘Astronauts in a space capsule orbiting the Earth at a height of 900km experience weightlessness: hence the gravitational field due to the Earth must be zero at that altitude'. Include calculations in your answer.

Can someone please help ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the formula for the strength of Earth's gravitational field?

[tex]F= \frac{GM}{r^2}[/tex]

Where G is the "universal gravitational constant", M is the mass of the earth, and r is the distance from the center of the earth (radius of the Earth plus altitude). For what value of r is that 0?

Whe DO astronauts experience weightlessness? (What weight would you feel if you jumped off the edge of the Grand Canyon?)

thank you very much, your post made something click in my mind, i got it now. thanks

HallsofIvy said:
Do you know the formula for the strength of Earth's gravitational field?

[tex]F= \frac{GM}{r^2}[/tex]

Where G is the "universal gravitational constant", M is the mass of the earth, and r is the distance from the center of the earth (radius of the Earth plus altitude). For what value of r is that 0?

Whe DO astronauts experience weightlessness? (What weight would you feel if you jumped off the edge of the Grand Canyon?)
ok i thought i had it but i didnt, could u please prove that theory mathematically, i tried inputting the numbers but ended up with 610.24234...

Astronauts don't feel weightless because of Earth's gravitational field =0 , infact the gravitational field due to Earth is not zero by any means at a height of 900 km. Astronauts would feel weightless if their space-shuttles accelerated in such a way that it counterbalanced the Earth's attraction.Astronauts could feelw eightless if they were under freefall in space , like in case of satellites orbiting earth, in this case Earth's gravitational field helps in motion of satellite and is not zero.Earth's Gravitational field will be zero when r---> infinity.

BJ

how would i prove that mathematically ?

I'll try one more time- the question asked whether the force of gravity was 0.

[tex]F= \frac{GMm}{r^2}[/tex]

For what value of r is that 0?

1. How does Earth's gravitational field affect space shuttles?

The Earth's gravitational field plays a crucial role in the launch and trajectory of space shuttles. It provides the necessary force for the shuttle to break free from the Earth's atmosphere and reach orbit. However, it also pulls the shuttle towards the Earth, which must be counteracted by the shuttle's engines and thrusters.

2. How does the strength of Earth's gravitational field change during a space shuttle's journey?

The strength of Earth's gravitational field remains relatively constant during a space shuttle's journey. However, as the shuttle moves further away from the Earth, the gravitational force weakens due to the inverse square law. This means that the farther the shuttle is from the Earth, the weaker the gravitational pull becomes.

3. How does the Earth's gravitational field affect the orbit of a space shuttle?

The Earth's gravitational field determines the shape and stability of a space shuttle's orbit. If the shuttle is launched with enough speed and at the right angle, it will enter a stable orbit around the Earth, where the force of gravity pulling it towards the Earth is balanced by the shuttle's momentum.

4. Can the Earth's gravitational field cause problems for space shuttles?

The Earth's gravitational field can cause problems for space shuttles if not properly accounted for. If the shuttle's trajectory is not carefully planned, it can get pulled too close to the Earth and experience excessive atmospheric drag, causing it to burn up during re-entry. Additionally, the gravitational pull of other celestial bodies, such as the Moon, can also affect the shuttle's orbit.

5. How does the Earth's gravitational field affect the landing of a space shuttle?

The Earth's gravitational field plays a crucial role in the landing of a space shuttle. As the shuttle re-enters the Earth's atmosphere, it experiences a strong gravitational pull, which helps slow it down and bring it back to the surface. The shuttle's trajectory and speed must be carefully controlled to ensure a safe and successful landing.