1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Earth's magnetic field

1. Mar 28, 2013 #1

Buckethead

Gold Member

Does the Earth's magnetic field rotate with the Earth? I am figuring it's stationary as a magnet that rotates through it's pole to pole axis does not exhibit a rotating magnetic field so why should the Earth.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2013 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

The Earth's magnetic field is not aligned with its rotation axis. The magnetic North and South poles are located at certain geographical points on the planet, and therefore there is a diurnal rotation of the magnetic field with respect to an outside observer.

4. Mar 29, 2013 #3

Buckethead

Gold Member

That slipped my mind that they were not aligned (even though I knew that). So are you saying that the magnetic field rotates and if so, do you know how fast it rotates and why?

5. Mar 29, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The magnetic poles, and all other significant features of the field move around the rotation axis once per day. I think it is reasonable to say "the magnetic field rotates once per day", even if there is no clear general way to assign an angular velocity to a changing magnetic field.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook