What direction does a compass point towards Earth's magnetic North pole?

In summary, the answer to the question of which compass pole points to Earth's magnetic North pole is #3 - north. This is because the "north" end of the compass needle points towards the Earth's north magnetic pole, which is actually the south pole of the compass. This is due to the arbitrary historical definitions of "north" and "south" in relation to magnetic fields.
solars
Which compass pole points to Earth's magnetic North pole?
1.depends where compass is located
2. compass doesn't actually point at Earth's magnetic north pole
3. north
4. south

I'm stumped by this question. I think either 2 or 3 is the right answer, because they both seem correct to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose this is all about defining what north and south is. The north of the compass needle should point to the south of the Earth and vice versa, because opposites attract. However, the Earth's north magnetic pole could be possibly located in the south somewhere in Antarctica, I'm not sure where it is now.

My first reaction was to scream, "Of course, the north compass pole points toward the north magnetic pole, you fool, you fool".

Then I stopped to think. The end of the compass LABLED "north" points toward the Earth's north magnetic pole. But, of course, that is the south pole of the compass since magnets always line up with opposite pole next to one another.

(Unless Doc Al wants to explain what an idiot I am!)

The "north" magnetic pole of Earth is so called only for geographical reasons, that is, it is the pole in the Northern Hemisphere. As a magnetic dipole, it is the pole generally called "south" on an artificial magnet, which is the end where the magnetic field lines are taken to be "going into" the magnet.

These definitions are all historical and arbitrary, anyway, since we don't really see the field and which way it's "going". All you can really observe is the alignment of smaller magnets with the planet's field. Once you decide what to call "north", the remaining definitions are dictated (a sort of symmetry-breaking of nomenclature...).

I believe, for the purposes of the question, the answer would be #3.

thanks!

What is Earth's magnetic north pole?

Earth's magnetic north pole is the point on the Earth's surface where the planet's magnetic field points vertically downwards. This is different from the geographic north pole, which is the point at which the Earth's axis of rotation intersects the planet's surface.

Does the magnetic north pole change over time?

Yes, the magnetic north pole is constantly moving and has been known to shift up to 40 miles per year. This movement is caused by changes in the Earth's core and its magnetic field.

What is the significance of the magnetic north pole?

The magnetic north pole plays a crucial role in navigation, as it helps guide compasses and other magnetic instruments. It also protects the Earth from harmful cosmic radiation by deflecting it away from the planet's surface.

Is the magnetic north pole the same as the geographic north pole?

No, the magnetic north pole and the geographic north pole are not the same. While they are close in proximity, they are two distinct points on the Earth's surface with different functions.

How does the magnetic north pole affect animals?

Many animals, such as birds and sea turtles, use the Earth's magnetic field for navigation during their migrations. Changes in the magnetic north pole can disrupt their ability to navigate, causing them to become disoriented or lost. Some studies have also linked changes in the magnetic field to changes in animal behavior and physiology.