1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Earth's magnetic numbers

1. Jun 20, 2010 #1
    through lots of research I came across a little experiment conducted by Nikola Tesla. This Experiment consisted of magnetizing a sphere to the same the Earth produced in the given area where the experiment was to take place. Taking the spin of the earth approximate wind effects on the sphere a location was determined and the area was informed of falling objects. Once the Sphere was charged it shot in to the air, apparently with great force and speed, never to be seen again.

with that said, I would like to know the numerical break down of Earths magnetic fields and variances that would have and would allow an experiment like that to take place. This would include the construction of the the magnet. How much electricity would be needed to charge a given material to permit the to be repeated?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi Randomize! Welcome to PF! :smile:
    :confused: Sorry, but so far as I know this is rubbish …

Tesla did no such thing …

can you please provide a reference and a link for this? :redface:
  4. Jun 20, 2010 #3
    I was young at the time so my note taking is not what is today. But it was a biography written about Tesla by a female author. it was worn by the time I got to the book but I did mange to get all the reference used to write the book. I will look over my notes and see if I did write down the book and ISBN and give that information. If not I will do the research to find the book and then post the information for verification.
  5. Jun 22, 2010 #4
    Okay I found the book, it is "Tesla: Man out of Time" written by Margaret Cheney. The page number is unknown to me. I no longer have the book to get it for you. This should help to support my statement even slightly.
  6. Jun 22, 2010 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  7. Jun 23, 2010 #6
    While I wait for the book the main point of this post before it's forgotten is acquiring the magnetic wave length(s) and numerical representation of those wave length(s) for the planet. Being that the wave length(s) vary depending on where one is on the planet then a mean number should be able to be acquired. This is what I am looking for.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook