Can the Integral of e^(ax) - e^(bx) be Simplified?

• Thread starter eof
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation was about a difficult integral that can be solved by using partial fractions. The process involves substituting t=1+e^{ax} and simplifying the expression to eventually get to the solution. The speakers also discuss the possibility of finding a quicker way to solve the integral, but ultimately conclude that the partial fraction method is the most straightforward approach. One speaker also suggests shortcuts that can be taken during the calculation to save time. The conversation ends with a question about the time limit for solving the integral on an exam.
eof
Hi,

I friend of mine gave me the following integral to calculate:

[tex]\int_0^\infty \frac{e^{ax}-e^{bx}}{(1+e^{ax})(1+e^{bx})}[/tex]

This can de done by first doing partial fractions which gives you

[tex]\int_0^\infty \frac{1}{1+e^{bx}}-\frac{1}{1+e^{ax}}[/tex]

then we can calculate each one by substituting [tex]t=1+e^{ax}[/tex] (and similarly for the other term). Hence

[tex]dx=\frac{dt}{a(t-1)}[/tex],

and finally after doing partial fraction again after the substitution, it boils down to

[tex]
\frac{(a-b)\ln 2}{ab}+\lim_{x\rightarrow\infty}\ln\frac{(1+e^{ax})^b}{(1+e^{bx})^a}
=\frac{(a-b)\ln 2}{ab}[/tex]

where the second term disappears. The calculation is straightforward, though quite messy. This had been on an actuarial exam a few years ago where they were actually expecting you to calculate it in under 2 minutes.

I've been trying to figure out if there is an "easier" way to see the answer, but haven't come up with anything useful. I can't convert it into any known integral from Fourier analysis or see how to apply the calculus of residues or something similar. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
There's no particulr reason for why there should exist a quicker way of doing this

Yeah, I've been thinking about the same thing and that is puzzling me. :)

EDIT: There were some extra conditions given (to ensure that it really converges), but I can't come up with an assumption that would do any good either.

For the first partial fraction separation, you don't actually need to the full partial fractions alculation. Notice that you can add 0 = 1 -1 to the numerator, which gives you (1 + e^(ax)) - (1 + e^(bx)), so you can split it up within seconds to get to your second line.

For the second partial fraction expansion, you can probably just look at it and guess what the coefficients need to be instead of working them out. You have A/t + B/(t-1), so looking at that, A = -1, B = 1 should do the job, as you can check pretty quickly.

If you cut corners like that instead of doing the full calculation of the partial fraction separation, it should really cut down on the time taken to do that integral.

How do you know it was under 2 minutes? That seems a bit difficult.

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is used to find the total value of a function over a given interval.

2. Why is finding an integral challenging?

Finding an integral can be challenging because it requires a deep understanding of calculus and various integration techniques. It also involves complex mathematical calculations and can be time-consuming.

3. Is there an easier way to do an integral?

Yes, there are multiple techniques and methods that can make finding an integral easier. Some common techniques include substitution, integration by parts, and using tables of integrals.

4. How can I improve my skills in solving integrals?

Practice and understanding of calculus principles are key to improving skills in solving integrals. It is also helpful to learn different integration techniques and their applications.

5. Can I use technology to solve integrals?

Yes, there are many online tools and software programs available that can help with solving integrals. However, it is important to have a solid understanding of the concepts behind integration and not rely solely on technology.