Easier way to get exact sum/avr?

• Thread starter buddingscientist
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the average distance from the bottom and right edges of a square using approximations and integrals. The final solution is an unexpected exact expression of 1.14779. The individual also expresses their curiosity about the unexpected result.
buddingscientist
Easier way to get exact sum/avr? [SOLVED, thanks awvvu]

Greetings,

First I will explain what I am trying to do.
I am trying to find the 'average' distance from the bottom and right edges of this box:
http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/8934/okvi7.jpg

Basically (using 11 approximations)
What I am after for is equal to
1 + sqrt (1 + 0.1^2) + sqrt (1 + 0.2^2) + sqrt (1 + 0.3^2)
+ sqrt (1 + 0.4^2) + sqrt (1 + 0.5^2) + sqrt (1 + 0.6^2)
+ sqrt (1 + 0.8^2) + sqrt (1 + 0.8^2) + sqrt (1 + 0.9^2) + sqrt(2)
And then that divided by 11

I've used a nice messy excel spreadsheet to get this to 1000 approximations (1000 little 'slices') to get an average of 1.148001 and also using 5000 slices I get 1.147835

Basically as a summation what I _think_ I am looking for is (1000 slices):

[tex]\frac{1}{n} \sum_{n=1}^{1000} \sqrt{1^2 + (0.001n)^2} [/tex]
(that right?)

And extended to an infinite amount of slices:

[tex]\lim_{k\rightarrow\infty} \frac{1}{k} \sum_{n=1}^{k} \sqrt{1^2 + (\frac{n}{k})^2} [/tex]
(is this right/possible?)

What I am looking for is, using integration, or if it is do-able to evaluate that sum, to know if it is possible to get an 'exact' answer for the 'average' distance?
I imagine it would be very similar to the 1.1478 answer above, but I'm looking for more accuracy (basically to whatever precision the infinite sum gives) or if it just happens to equal a nice fraction for me (8/7 which is 1.14285...) or you know.. something nice and round

Thanks for reading, please let me know if you need any more info, or if I have gone wrong somewhere, or any hints to get me on the right track, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
You can set it up as an integral.

Let's place the bottom-left corner of the square at the origin. The distance from the top-left corner to any x is [itex]\sqrt{1+x^2}[/itex]. And we want to integrate from x = 0 to x = 1.

I stuck it into integrator and the antiderivative is [itex]\frac{1}{2}(x \sqrt{1 + x^2} + arcsinh(x))[/itex]. Plugging in our limits gives [itex]\frac{1}{2}(\sqrt{2} + arcsinh(1)) \approx 1.14779[/itex]. It's a pretty unexpected exact expression.

I think with some prodding, your sum can be turned into a Riemann sum and you'll get the same results as setting it up as an integral directly.

edit: The integral and final expression should be divided by its length (1) to find the average.

Last edited:
Thanks very much !
I knew there would be a simpler way through integrating than my messy summations.

Could I ask what you mean by "It's a pretty unexpected exact expression" ? (Just out of interest)

Thanks again

1. How can I quickly calculate the exact sum of a set of numbers?

The easiest way to get an exact sum of a set of numbers is by using a calculator or a spreadsheet program like Microsoft Excel. Simply enter the numbers into the calculator or spreadsheet and use the sum function to get the exact sum.

2. Is there a faster way to get the average of a set of numbers?

Yes, there are a few ways to quickly calculate the average of a set of numbers. One way is to use a calculator or spreadsheet program and use the average function. Another way is to add all the numbers together and divide by the total number of numbers in the set.

3. Can I use a shortcut to get the exact sum of a large set of numbers?

Yes, there are a few shortcuts you can use to get the exact sum of a large set of numbers. One way is to group the numbers into smaller sets and calculate the sum of each set separately. Then, add the sums together to get the total sum.

4. How accurate is the exact sum/average calculated using shortcuts?

The exact sum/average calculated using shortcuts is just as accurate as using a calculator or spreadsheet program. However, it may be less precise due to rounding errors. It is always recommended to double-check the results using different methods.

5. Are there any online tools available for quickly calculating the exact sum/average?

Yes, there are many online tools available for quickly calculating the exact sum/average of a set of numbers. Some popular options include calculators and spreadsheet programs that can be accessed through a web browser. These tools can be especially helpful for those who do not have access to a calculator or spreadsheet program on their computer.