Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Easiest topology textbook/book

1. Oct 5, 2008 #1
    "Easiest" topology textbook/book

I am having a terrible time learning topology. Abstract algebra comes easily, as does analysis but Topology is not making any sense whatsoever to me and I honostly try harder in it than my other classes and it gets me 1/10th the progress if not thousands less.

What is the deal with Topology? I even feel like a am pretty proficient in set theory which is usually the first chapter in a Topology textbook.

Would somebody please suggest the easiest Topology text out there. I am out of solutions. I have multiple texts, I visit my professor constantly, I attend lecture, I try problems and I look for help on this forum.

Somebody fill me in. I know I am whining here but I want to hear some thoughts from people. Good or bad.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2008 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: "Easiest" topology textbook/book

Point set topology is about generalizing the concept of a "neighborhood" and all the notions that rely of the concept of the neighborhood (continuity, convergence, etc).

Some classic texts are Munkres, Dugunji, Kelley.

I don't dislike the Dover book by Hocking & Young at all either.

4. Oct 5, 2008 #3

Thank you Quasar

5. Oct 5, 2008 #4

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Judging by your posts in the HW section, I think your difficulty is stemming from a lack of understanding of the definitions. In my experience, the best way to wrap your head around all the definitions you meet in point-set topology (and there are plenty!) is by coming up with and examining examples. Fortunately, examples are very easy to come by in the beginning stages of topology. And usually thinking of all topological spaces as the metric space R^2 (with the usual Euclidean metric) is a good way to guide your intuition -- just make sure you don't take this too far, otherwise it will quickly go from an asset to a hindrance!

Edit: By the way, out of the books quasar mentioned, I would say Munkres is the easiest.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?