1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Easiest way to pull an object

1. Jul 1, 2009 #1
    I found interesting to me this topic and tryed to analyze.
    http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/6655/49209931.jpg [Broken]

At which angle it is eseaiest to pull an object?
    I got equation
    [tex]F=\frac{\mu mg}{cos(\alpha)(\mu tan(\alpha)-1)}[/tex] or [tex]F=\frac{\mu mg}{\mu sin(\alpha)+cos(\alpha)}[/tex]

I dunno this math very well unfortunately, but I would be interested to see a plot:
    how mostly optimum angle is dependent from mu, and for example then mu is 1 alpha is 45, and so on...

heh sorry for the paint and spelling...

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2009 #2
    Re: Easyest way to pull an object

It depends on mu actually. Think of 2 extreme cases. First, mu is 1 (friction is extremely high). In which case X = Y, the answer is 45 degree as you said. But if mu is 0 (frictionless), the answer is clearly 0 degree (the force required to move the object is close to zero).

I'm not sure though; ha haaa

Mr Peetiya

4. Jul 2, 2009 #3

You're looking for a maximum. Use your calculus brain. How does one find the maximum or minimum of a curve?

5. Jul 2, 2009 #4

I would use calculus if i know how to use it, in school i do not have lessons with it, unfortunately, since I am 11grader. But infact i know quite a lot about it. But still I dunno how to found derirative of the bottom. [tex]f(\alpha)=\mu sin(\alpha)+cos(\alpha) f'(\alpha)=\mu cos(\alpha)-sin(\alpha)[/tex] ?? When to make it to zero and solve it? How to solve what equation when? It's homogenic .. divide by cos alpha and whola? :)
    And does best angle depends from [tex]\mu[/tex] lineraly? In fact this topic is quite clear, just math's is not very clear.

6. Jul 2, 2009 #5

Well, you seemed to have gleaned the important part of the derivation anyways.

[tex] f(\alpha) = \frac{\mu mg}{\mu sin(\alpha) + cos (\alpha)}[/tex]

[tex] f'(\alpha) = \frac{\mu mg (\mu cos(\alpha) - sin(\alpha))} {(\mu sin(\alpha) + cos(\alpha))^2} = 0 [/tex]

because [tex]\mu mg[/tex] is constant, and the denominator can't be zero, we can simplify this problem a bit by focusing on the only part that can be zero.

So, you see why I thought you did well on calculating the f' you did:
    [tex]\mu cos(\alpha) - sin(\alpha) = 0 [/tex]

Then

[tex]
    \mu cos(\alpha) = sin (\alpha)
    [/tex]

So,
    [tex]
    tan(\alpha) = \mu
    [/tex]

Then arc tan both sides to get an explicit value for alpha. By analyzing this function, e.g. you can see that if there is no friction mu = 0, the best pull is the directly horizontal pull (i.e. alpha = 0). If you have mu = 1.0 the best pull is at alpha = 45 degrees.

If you don't know calculus, this problem probably seems a little out of your league. But I am fairly confident there is a geometrical approach as well, that is within your limits if you're an intelligent high school student, or a bored undergrad. If you have the time, and are still curious, I'd recommend seeking out that way.

7. Jul 3, 2009 #6
    Great, thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook