1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Easily derive kinematic eqns?

1. Feb 1, 2012 #1
    I'm tired of having to look up the kinematic equations every time I need to use them (I tutor lower devision students a lot). Is there an intuitive and memorable way to derive them?
    As in, it's easy to derive x=x0+v0t+at2 just by integrating a constant force. Can I get the others without relying on some other equations I will inevitably forget?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2012 #2

Philip Wood

Gold Member

The equations you refer to are, I take it, for constant acceleration.

For a start, put x0 = 0. You can always add it back in if you need it.

First approach
    One basic equation is: x = (1/2)(u + v)/t [u = initial vel, v = final vel]
    This embodies displacement = mean velocity [itex]\times[/itex] time.

The other basic one is v = u + at
    This is a re-arrangement of the definition of acceleration a (if acceleration constant).

There are 5 equations in all. Each involves 4 of the 5 variables: v, u, x, t, a.

The other 3 equation are found by eliminating u, v, t in turn. If you've done it once or twice it should be quick and easy.

Second approach
    Use a linear velocity-time graph running between (0, u) and (t, v). The slope (gradient) gives the acceleration, the area under the graph gives the displacement. This area is a rectangle plus a triangle. Hence the first two equations as mentioned above. Re-express the triangle area using a, and the other 3 equations will emerge.

If you use the equations often enough, you'll remember them! I do, and my memory is pretty terrible...

Note
    4 of these equations relate vector quantities (or, to be fussy, components of vector quantities). The fifth equation, v2 = u2 + 2as, is different. It relates scalars (dot products). Not that you'd want to raise this with students meeting the equations for the first time!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook