Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

East Coast braces for bug onslaught

1. May 19, 2004 #1

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4638582/?GT1=3391
    :surprise: THAT was the thing that scared the life out of me last year, a cicadas and not a cricket :eek: It really sounded like someone was breaking open the concrete.. what a noise.. :uhh:

Really weird they have a 17 yr cycle though.

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2004 #2

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

gosh, who knew..

4. May 19, 2004 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've learned more about those bugs in the last month than I ever needed to know in my lifetime...that's all they've been putting on the news here it seems! The first billion of 5 billion expected have shown up where I live. Other than the thousands of shells left behind from their molting over the past few days (they just came up, and molted their juvenile shells over the past two days...most of it happened yesterday in my yard...one decided to do this on one of my screens, and being the ultimate geek, I sat fascinated for quite some time just watching it emerge from its shell). Then they spent most of yesterday just sitting around, getting their wings stretched out, or whatever it was they were doing, and after being a little dampened by the torrential rains and thunderstorm last night, seem to have gotten themselves into the mood for mating today, so are out there chirping away. I can still identify individual chirps, so it's not so bad yet. I remember last time they were out, it was just a steady drone for half the summer. For a bug, they're kind of cute. There's a rumor going around that there's a reward for finding a blue-eyed cicada (it's just a rumor), so that seems to be keeping all the kids busy looking for one with blue eyes. The birds are also quite happy right now...they've got a real feast out there!

The thing I thought was really cool is that last year, I didn't know the mating season for cicadas was approaching, but I was able to predict some sort of massive bug infestation...all the trees were incredibly prolific in producing seeds and seedlings! Entymologists think it could be the trees that tell the cicadas when it's the right year to emerge since they feed off their roots. Otherwise, maybe we should ask the physicists or astronomers or geologists if there is any other 17-year cycle of events that cicadas could be using as a timing cue.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?