1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Easy algebra problem

1. Feb 16, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] easy algebra problem

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Why is the following equation impossible:

[tex]\sqrt{3}=a+b\sqrt{2}[/tex]

where a and b are rational numbers and b is not 0. It seems so obvious... Feel free to use group, ring, or field theory in your answer.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    EDIT: I can prove that [tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex] is irrational. Square both sides and rearrange to get
    [tex]\frac{3-a^2-2b^2}{2ab}=\sqrt{2} [/tex]
    which is impossible because the rationals form a field (which is closed under addition, multiplication, and division).

Last edited: Feb 16, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If 3= a+ b[itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] then 3- a= b[/itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] so [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex]= (3- a)/b. a and b are rational numbers so ....

4. Feb 16, 2008 #3
    well, i can prove that any rational(-non-zero) number b times sqrt(2) is irrational. Then again the sum of a rational number and an irrational one is irrational. So here we have the left side of the eq a rational number while the left side is an irrational one, which is not possible.
    Am i even close?

5. Feb 16, 2008 #4
    Is he asking for an answer, or he is just testing some of us? i got the feeling that the op already knows the answer, but rather wants to see who knows the reason, or am i wrong?

6. Feb 16, 2008 #5

Well, you edited it now, right, because before ther was a plain 3, while now ther is the square root of 3.

7. Feb 16, 2008 #6
    Yes, I edited it, sorry. Thanks.

8. Feb 16, 2008 #7

Well, yeah this loos fine to me, since a,b are rationals then they will also be rationals when squared, also -,+,* in the field of rationals are closed operations, so on the left side you have a rational nr. while on the right an irrational. this seems to me like a good contradiction, let's see what halls have to say.!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?